1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Contest Voting

Discussion in 'Strong Character Contest' started by Daniel, Nov 3, 2007.

?

Which story should win the Contest?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2007.
  1. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5869]A Time of Lambs[/url] by wordweaver

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5956]Break My Body[/url] by mollyburton

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6038]Neverending[/url] by Cogito

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5991]Reciprocal Altruism[/url] by Gannon

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5548]Reflection[/url] by krosangnomelord

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  6. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6036]Sacrifice of Morals[/url] by Banzai

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5978]Sacrifice, Sanctuary...[/url] by GreyLiberty

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6218]Suspended Indefinitely[/url] by foxbrains

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5709]The All-Seeing Heart[/url] by abolethmage

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5936]Unknown Sisters[/url] by Roxie

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It's always helpful to have another pair of eyes look over a work.

But you still made the final ten, out of over twenty. That's in the top half. And the contest isn't over yet. For all we know, you could end up winning.

2. wordweaver

wordweaver Member

"A friend asked me to join this site and read his story and vote for him, so I did. But after reading the others, I realized that his isn't the best and now I'm voting for someone else."

Dear Friend,

Ok, first of all what I'm about to say is not out of anger, but disappointment. I find the idea of "recruiting" friends to join and vote extremely immature. Not only does it show the lack of confidence in your own writing, it creates an unfair advantage for everyone else who has entered.

We have all worked equally as hard in our own writing, no more, no less than you have. I want to win, you want to win, we all want to win. Thus, the reason for entering.

But, now that has unfairly been taken away. Maybe even with the recruited friends voting you still won't win, but the idea of it leaves suspicion to any that enter contests from here on out.

My only hope is that from now on, anyone with this idea will realize how unfair and damaging it is, not only to the one doing so, but to the whole site.

I think a new system should be in place here for voting, (I have one suggestion, so if the powers-that-be want to pm me, feel free) because if contests continue in such a way I think the number of entrants will drop dramatically.

Yours truly,

wordweaver

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

wordweaver - thanks for the concern. I have pm'ed you regarding the above. The matter is now under investigation and with Lpspider, please everyone no retaliation and flaming regarding this sensitive and contentious subject.

I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate all entrants for their excellent and varied pieces and to what I hope will prove a fair representative voting.

4. mollyburton

mollyburton Member

"A friend asked me to join this site and read his story and vote for him, so I did. But after reading the others, I realized that his isn't the best and now I'm voting for someone else."

Could you please tell your friend to get some self esteem?

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

This is a really low act. Whoever this was, instead of getting offended, have some confidence in yourself and rely on earning votes through the quality of your work.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The problem is that since there is a cash prize, this is a larger issue than self esteem. It may have to be looked upon as fraud.

This is now an administrative issue, and is under review.

I appreciate everyone's patience while this is being investigated.

7. Banzai

Is the contest still on while it is being investigated? I'd hate for it to be spoilt, everyone has put so much effort in...

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

At this point, it is an investigative matter only.

9. wordweaver

wordweaver Member

It was never my intention to bring this issue forth in a negative manner, and I hope no one flames the person involved.

I do think that they erred, but will most likely look back on this with regret. I think that, above all else, will be effective over any negativity thrown their way. Chances of it happening by that person again, I would think, are slim.

We all worked hard, and yes, even the person recruiting, but we should also be happy that we made it into the top ten. I know I am. ;)

10. abolethmage

abolethmage Member

Im happy with being in the top ten. The money is extra. What i want is credit for this. Would being in the top ten on this site look good on a resume for college? If so how would i put it on there? What proof would i need?
    I'm also saddened by this cheating spree going on. :(
    But i think i have a guess on who it is..........

11. wordweaver

wordweaver Member

hehehe, that's what I want too, the credentials for future submissions. ;)

I'm not sure if it would look good on a resume, I'm sure the mention wouldn't hurt though. :)

Beef it up with alot of fancy words, prestigious writing contest, top ten finalist... Who knows, you may even be able to add winner, second runner-up, third? You never know till the,... um..., lady sings! ;)

12. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord Member

I invited several people to this contest to read the stories. I was really impressed with certain specific ones (which I've posted in, in the past) and I asked people to read these top ten as well.

I don't want to be called a cheater because I had some outsider's express their opinions through voting on this poll. That was not my intention. I instructed the people who joined to read the other stories and be fair in how they voted. Two people I know had been reading all the submissions since the start, but they didn't join until the voting poll opened. Second of all, I had stated in the beginning that I didn't like how the voting was being done. It's a bad idea to have the writers who wrote the stories vote, because problems like these are going to arise.

This bothers me that the whole contest has become a negative thing. Might I mention, one of the people who joined said he might post some of his own material on the forums in the future, hoping to get into some contests.

If anyone does have the intent of getting votes just because they want to win, though, I don't agree with that. But looking at the numbers today got me worried at how fingers might be pointed >_>

EDIT: Upon talking over this with a few people, one said this:

"Trust me, if I like someone else's story better, I'm going to vote for that one. No offense to you, but I really wouldn't vote for something just because it was a friend or acquiantence who entered it." -moogleMastermynd

"I just know I'd be a little irked if I were one of the other authors, though, they don't know the full situation, all they see are brand new people coming into the site, registering, and then voting, most towards you, so they assume, as I would've" -doomhydra

"I have participated in a writing contest before which operated by votes, and it was found that one person had gained votes through friends and family. This is behaviour that I find unacceptable, and would never do myself. I read through all of the entries before voting and yes, although I did vote for krosangnomelord, it was because I enjoyed reading the story the most (no offense to other participants because it was a very hard choice to make) not that he is my friend. Had his story been of lesser quality, I would not have voted for him." -Feyrae3

13. Banzai

Well I too have referred people to the sight over this contest (though I'd stress it was to take part, rather than simply to vote). I think that the only issue comes when people attempt to solicit votes. It defeats the object of the best story winning.

14. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord Member

I agree. And I'm really upset now because with the numbers they way they are now...and the attitude everyone has at this moment, I feel ****ty. I feel like a winning vote would be tainted, and whoever did solicit votes for the sake of this simple contest is a jerk.

15. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord Member

EDIT: I'm not going to withdraw.

16. DoomHydra

DoomHydra New Member

Hello, I'm one of the new people here. I came here through krosangnomelord, and read over each of these pieces of work, and I voted for his, which was a very difficult situation, all the works were spectacular. I chose his because it impressed me the most. If one of the others seemed of a higher caliber than his, I would've chose that work without hesitation. I just wish this dark situation came up, but I stand resolute to what I say.

On a side note, I hope that I may be able to exercise my writing abilities here, as well. Krosangnomelord and I used to write things together when we were younger, but I've always slipped more towards lyrical poetics. As an aspiring poet and author, I hope this site proves to be a fitting environment to seek advice and guidance.

17. jayger04

jayger04 Member

I'm sure the majority of us here are honest. I took the time to read everyones hard work and voted accordingly. And as advised by the other person, they did not vote their freinds' piece because it was not superior to the quality of other articles. And I hope this person advised them of that.:rolleyes:

Well done to you all though, this has not tarnished my view on the contests as the more superior will always win in the end.:)

18. disco_artist

disco_artist Member

To be honest, I thought for sure the competition was going to be mostly between Cogito and Banzai.

No offense, buddy, but I really don't think Reflection is a good story. I thought it lacked focus and was predictable and ddrawn on for far too long. I don't think you should withdraw, I think you should be dissqualified, because most of the other stories are far better than yours, so you must have cheated to get that far ahead.

19. adamant

adamant Contributing Member Contributor

Don't start dissing stories and whatnot... if the author wants a critique, he can solicit your opinion. Here is not the place anyway. The administrative staff will see to it that the contest is operated justly to the best of their abilities.

20. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord Member

You spelled "art" wrong in your signature's quote. Replace the "e" with a "t."

21. LooneyLovegood

LooneyLovegood New Member

I do believe that this is your opinion. Why should someone be dissqualified because YOU think his or her story is not up to par?

I truthfully enjoyed Reflections the most out of the bunch, so don't be so naive to assume that no one here likes it.

22. Banzai

I don't agree with this. Just because you didn't like a story, doesn't mean that other people don't. He doesn't have to have cheated, and frankly throwing around accusations that he did is something best done in a PM to the admin.

But equally, this is your opinion, and it's your right to vote for whoever you want. And I am very flattered by what you said about my story, by the way :)

EDIT: Enough of the discussion. It's being handled by Daniel and the mods now, we should get on with the real business here: voting!

EDIT 2:
    Good. No one needs to withdraw. Enough of this **** already.

23. LooneyLovegood

LooneyLovegood New Member

Agreed! :D

24. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

BACK to the point. Can anyone smell something burning? (Actually something is burning in the house...) Better check...

25. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and your honesty. As has been said this is now an administative matter so please leave accusation and slander out of the thread - that helps no one. Lpspider and the moderators will advise shortly.