Contest Voting

Discussion in 'Strong Character Contest' started by Daniel, Nov 3, 2007.

?

Which story should win the Contest?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2007.
  1. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5869]A Time of Lambs[/url] by wordweaver

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5956]Break My Body[/url] by mollyburton

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6038]Neverending[/url] by Cogito

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5991]Reciprocal Altruism[/url] by Gannon

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5548]Reflection[/url] by krosangnomelord

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  6. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6036]Sacrifice of Morals[/url] by Banzai

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5978]Sacrifice, Sanctuary...[/url] by GreyLiberty

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=6218]Suspended Indefinitely[/url] by foxbrains

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5709]The All-Seeing Heart[/url] by abolethmage

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. [url=http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5936]Unknown Sisters[/url] by Roxie

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Newbies should've not being allowed to vote from the point this thread was created. Only existing members in this forum - those already existing prior to the creation of this thread - should've had that power. The way I see it, either the voting contest needs to be started from scratch or the admins have to decide amongst themselves which story wins the prize.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

That's a good point, Endeavour. If members had to have joined before voting opened in order to vote, that would probably hope.

I just hope that (being without any material prize) the weekly contests will be immune to such cheating. God knows, if I catch anyone doing similar things on the poetry contest, they're gonna get one hell of an e-bitchslap (and I'm guessing Gannon feels similarly about the short story contest).

3. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Indeed, that's also another problem.

I think WritingForums.org needs to seriously consider revamping the current voting system. Otherwise, I fear the same exact cheating procedure will recur over and over again. And that's just extremely unfair on everyone else.

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I'd tend to agree with Endeavour. Something needs to be done about voting procedures here, and a side of me suspects this activity is already going on under our noses.

5. mollyburton

mollyburton New Member

I think that the idea of people who join once voting starts being unable to cast their vote is brilliant. It would definitely stanch a lot of worries. Is it even possible, though?

6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

There has been a good deal of concern about voting by "asking" people for votes or telling friends to vote for you. I didn't think this would become an issue, but it has.

For this reason we've decided to nullify all votes that were made after the contest closed. This means for all users who've registered on or after October 23rd will not be counted as a vote - if you registered on or before October 22nd, however, your vote will still be counted normally.

I realize this may be upsetting to some people, but it's the fairest option I can think of. I apologize to any of those who registered recently who voted sincerely. I hope you realize that this is for the best interest of the integrity of the contest and site.

Because of how we've chosen to handle this, the poll will not be accurate. The poll will still close to voting in about one day. However, the poll wouldn't be accurate - it might not display the actual winner. I will have to manually go through the votes and determine which ones are acceptable in meeting the new registration qualifications.

I apologize for this situation. We're currently brainstorming for methods to avoid situations like this in the future.

7. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord New Member

As much as I understand, there are people I know for a fact that have read all of these stories since the contest started, but they never joined until recently. If this is truly a contest over what is better or not, and opinions are being denied because they didn't register before a specific date...then the winner's victory is still tainted. Neither solution is better than the other, really.

Also, I feel I've been cheated because of something someone else did. I know now that votes are going to be discounted just because they didn't register before that date, and some of them had voted for mine. I don't feel I deserve this after I had nothing to do with whoever decided to cheat.

EDIT: Second of all, level of involvement in the forums has nothing to do with this poll. It never stated that in the first place, and there are such people called "forum lurkers," ones who don't always have to post or try to get attention. Even I've been a member since April and I only have 50 posts.

EDIT: I'm not going to hide my anger, I reread Lpspider's post and understand they will sift what through they deem to be acceptable. Again, though, whoever cheated will eventually pay sometime down the road. No bad deed goes unpunished.

EDIT: Of course, I'll never stop thinking about this until something is decided, but I would like to say here that just because somebody says they are angry about this, doesn't mean they aren't guilty. Can you really trust anyone on these forums that you don't know?

And if having outsiders express their opinions is wrong, how is that different from people, who know each other on the forums, any different?

Maybe next time, send a pm out to all of the writingforum members to say, "Hey, contest voting! Come pick your favorite story," because some people just forget or are completely oblivious. The more voters there are, the more honest the vote.

8. Charisma

I know you're upset. And that no one can be trusted with this. But as far as we can see, Lpspider is rather just and wise and would be able to evaluate which story has actually gotten reliable votes. This was not speculated by the administration but now that this issue has been raised a little mismanagement has to be tolerated. After this experience I hope both the contestants and the admin would be aware of all possibilities and keep an open mind to things. I'm really sorry for those contestants and voters alike who were being truthful all the way long - but sometimes a single diseased fish in the pond affects all others.

9. GreyLiberty

GreyLiberty New Member

just in response to the earlier comments a couple of pages ago

don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be in the top ten, i guess i just get tired of the criticism/being ignored by strangers, particularly when people i thought were my friendskeep ignoring me but i don't want to bring my personal problems into here

i guess it's just waiting to see who will win now

10. Banzai

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, GreyLiberty...

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

GreyLiberty,

Reviews on individual pieces aren't really appropriate while the contest is still active. However, you could enter the story into the Review Rooms and receive comments after the contest closes.

As you indicated earlier, being selected as a finalist in the first place is already an acknowledgement that the story has merit.

12. Daniel

(I've edited the poll to not count those who voted who have registered after the contest closed. I again apologize for this situation, but it's one I think is necessary.)

13. Daniel

Break My Body by mollyburton is the contest winner. Congrats! It was a tough and close contest - you all did great.

14. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Congratulations, mollyburton. It was a great story.

And I enjoyed all the other stories as well. You all did a marvelous job.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Congratulations Molly! Well done!

16. wordweaver

wordweaver New Member

Congrats Molly! Great story. :)

17. Banzai

Woot :) Well done Molly :)

18. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Well done - congratulations to you!

19. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Very well done!

Many congratulations. :)

20. krosangnomelord

krosangnomelord New Member

Congrats, Molly :-D Great story.

1 person likes this.
  21. Charisma

Congratulations, Molly!

22. jayger04

jayger04 New Member

Congratulations Molly, well done to you all. Now us newbies can see where our standards should be at.
    And may I ask are all contest votings so close like that? I found myself checking in every now and again and the bar was about to project off the page for one and then the next time another story was showing in front.
    Very close results! Well done again.

23. GreyLiberty

GreyLiberty New Member

Woohoo Mollyburton! Congrats!

also sorry about this

i was lost in my own thoughts

24. mollyburton

mollyburton New Member

Thank you all so much!
    It was a very close call, and they were all phenomenal stories. Congratulations to everyone who entered, you are an exceptional writer.