1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Contest vs. publication

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by thirdwind, Mar 25, 2014.

Just curious about something. For those of you who participate in the contests here, what makes you decide to enter your story/poem into the contest rather than submit it to a magazine for publication? For those of you who both submit to magazines and participate in the contests, do you find that you spend more time on the stories/poems that you plan to submit to magazines?

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Sometimes I'll regret posting something here because I realise afterwards that I'd like it published, but I've got to tell myself that ideas are a dime a dozen, so there's no need to get all sad about it. The amount of time I write for a magazine compared to on here is rarely any different, but in terms of editing I spend more time on magazine pieces. Submitting a story with a typo on here will get a few head-shakes and tuts. Submitting the same thing to a magazine may well result in my work not being considered for publication.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

This is why I don't participate in the contests, and I only ever post practice pieces that I have no intention of publishing. I don't purpose-write for contests here because I barely have enough time to work on my manuscript, and when I'm not inspired to write, I have a ton of editing waiting to happen, so short stories just never get their turn.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

For any people that think they might want to get a piece published later on, that is why in the Flash Fiction Contest I give entrants the opportunity to put their entry in the private members only area of the sub forum. This makes it so that publishers can not do a word search and find their piece on search engines like Google or Yahoo.

;)

5. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I was thinking of entering a few contests on this forum as a stepping stone--one that would get me some feedback on my strengths and weaknesses. I'm not very experienced at writing. However, posting something online might be a bad idea if I happen to magically write a story that people think was good enough to be published.