1. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Contests

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Baywriter, Aug 1, 2007.

I have a tiny suggestion. I think that maybe contests should have some sort of panel of judges instead of just letting the readers judge. Why? People vote for themselves and people vote for their friends or people they respect. Does the right person always win? No, I don't think so. I have looked through some of these contests and literally thought this: Why the hell did that piece win?

I know, I know. Call me horrible. I don't care. It just seems that the voting can be VERY biased.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think that is a very valid point you have raised though Baywriter. It is worth taking into consideration and I will make sure that this is brought to the attention of the other staff members here.
    But we are wanting members to be involved with the process and we can only hope that they aren't voting for friends and themselves. I do like how it is open for all members to vote myself, I do however urge members to vote for the piece they feel should win the contest and not just for friends.
    Please vote fairly when it comes to the contests.

Torana

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm not sure how you would have a pannel, and still keep member involvement. I agree with what you are saying, about biased votes, but I vote for the poem/story I think is the best (and I make a point of never voting for myself), and I'm sure others do. And who would you have as your pannel of judges?

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

My issue isn't member involvement, but simply who would staff this senate of voters. The moderators, reviewers, and admin are no less flawed.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, the contests are supposed to be fun, not necessarily rigorously accurate reflections of merit. A panel of judges would also vote according to personal taste as well as more objective metrics, so I doubt it would be any better that way.

I do hope that contests emphasize that everyone is welcome to vote, not just entrants.

As for people voting for themselves, I hope people will give all entries a fair reading and vote accordingly. I sometimes vote for myself, when I still like what I've written the best; but I have also voted for competing pieces when I thought they were better conceived and written.

I for one would not want to take on the burden of being on a "judges panel".

In short, I don't see any better system than the one in place. But the review room is available for detailed critiquing anyway, and sometimes contest pieces end up there as well.

6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Baywriter - I've considered something like this below. However, if I recall correctly, when it was brought up for discussion several members thought that was unfair. They wanted to vote - or they didn't want to enter.

7. Torana

I think that it would be unfair to stop members from being able to vote personally.
    The contests were created for fun and to help each other better our writing skills.
    Also to create an activity where we are all acting as part of a community and I think that having it set for the whole forum to be able to vote gives us the chance to be a community .

I like the way it is myself.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

what we sued to do in an older site was before the contest began there would be a pannel of judges, normally three of four, but more they liked. then, once each entry was entered, the judges would spend a few days reading them and stuff, then guve each peice a mark outta 10. they would give reasons for the mark also. then, the contest runner would add the marks together and the on with the highest would win. maybe it should be considered doing it like that. the problem was, however, that no-one wanted to be the judges really, they all wanted ro enter.
    Heather

9. adamant

Hey, I don't know why I was still thinking of this, but I may have come up with a solution...maybe. Since people believe that prestige and friendships are corrupting the voting process, perhaps when the works are posted by the moderator, they won't have the name of the author posted. As I believe people will remember what they wrote, it generally won't cause many problems. However, this does mean that the mods will have to receive the stories in PM then re-post them.

What do you think?

10. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

sounds a bit tricky to be honest, but a smart idea. if we are going to get all techincal about it then it gets no fun and just a pain in the bum. i say keep it the way it is, keep life easy. :D

11. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I get the point. I agree with the point.

However, my take it on it that this is a forum. It's an open and live place for us to share our works and opinions. I think a panel of judges for a member-generated contest is a bit structured for the environment that we have.

I think it should be all in good fun. Yes, it's nice to win contests but if you even get a vote that means someone liked your work. Isn't that what you really want to know anyway? That your piece stands out enough for someone to take notice of it?

Why have the piece submitted to the forum, if the forum isnt' judging it?

12. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Well, the forum WOULD be judging it if we were to follow Adamant's suggestion, which is a rather nice one.

But, as Heather said...meh. Just let it be, it hasn't let us down so far.

13. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I couldn't agree more :)

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please though, don't PM to the moderators! Only to the poor soul who has volunteered to conduct the competition!

Mod for a day, and I'm feeling a blizzard coming on! :)

15. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

Exercising the hammer of justice already huh? hehe.

16. adamant

Cogito, you're a Super moderator which means you have to help direct the site. Those that are only moderators control on a more limited scale. I never said for anyone to PM to you guys, but to the moderators of the contest.

17. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Good suggestion - the only problem is that I know some members wouldn't want someone else to post their story (without direct reference that it's theirs).

18. adamant

Yeah... but by PM'ing the story, they have somewhat of a receipt that the story is theirs. I don't see anything that would make the story less safe than what it already is. We have a plagiarism case pending right now and her name was on it. After the voting, the names could be shown if desired.

Doesn't really matter... I was just trying to throw something out there.

19. Torana

Maybe we could have a poll and see what the members think on this topic.

In a way it is fair to let the members decide if they would like to keep it as it is or to have submissions pm'd to myself and then me post them up when the contests are ready for voting on.

Torana