1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Contests

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Charisma, Oct 19, 2007.

I don't know if I'll end up being frowned at, but it's a free world up till now.

So yeah, I was hoping to suggest a separate section for contests, of all sorts. The monthly contest we are having nowadays (with a deadlien on Monday) and also the story/poetry contests, with the hopeful addition of Iron Poetry contest, could be the sub-forums. I mean, it would give more attention to this part of the site, since I've noticed that they are congested in a corner, not very user-friendly. Also, the monthly contest doesn't just fit into Site Information. I know, it's for promotion, but if we just had a contests section below Site Information, I think it'd help.

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

i actually agree here, and i am sorry to see but the contest section does seem to be getting very jumbled up, like going into Primark on a Saturday :p i would suggest proper forums, or sub forums, for them all. :)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in re the poetry contest in particular, i find it near impossible to tell when a new one is open and when it will close, as it's tossed into a section that has nothing to do with poetry and not in the poetry section, where i keep thinking it is...

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Anything that makes them more prominent is a good thing in my book.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I'll throw my support in for this idea.

6. skippytim

skippytim New Member

I also agree, that's a great idea. Nice thinking. It seems jumbled, I mean I'm a competitive person but how can you compete like this?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A top level forum section for Competitions, placed just below Site Information, would be stand out nicely. If it contained three forums, one for the featured (quarterly?) site contest, the Weekly Poetry Competition, and the Weekly Short Story Competition, it would make the overall page length slightly longer than it currently is, but the latest post in each of the three contests would show on the forum index page.

The increase in page length is the only negative aspect I can think of, but it would be minimal.

8. Heather Louise

i know,, no one's hardly going to notice that change in length to be honest with ya. i tihnk it is a good idea. or, having them all under "contests" and then three subheadings in there (or however many competitions we have :p)
    Heather

9. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I think this is a nice idea too, especially now that the competitions seem to be becoming more active. It will increase their prominence and hopefully make them easier to find :)

10. Cogito

It would also make them stand out more to guests browsing the site, which might convert guests into members. The big contest is attractive, but it's fairly long term, and there is much to be said for the fun competitions with fast turnaround.

11. lessa

lessa New Member

how do you vote in the competitions.
    new here and sort of lost.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Once the deadlines for the contests are reached, and the entry closes, a mod makes a new thread containing all entries, and with a poll for members to vote on. After a period of time, that poll closes, and the entry with the most votes wins :) Hope that helped a little.

13. Raven

Raven Banned

I have informed Daniel of the thread. Just a thought but you folks could always ask him as well.

14. Heather Louise

i know but making a thread like this gets more people's opiniosn, and then one person, maybe the thread starter, goes to him when they think they have enough people behind them. on a nother site i am a member of, any big changes t the site are decided by a poll by the members. it works well actually, like a democracy.

15. Cogito

If we do put together a Contests section, this kind of information should be collected in a reference post, along with the persistent contest rules (both the ones common to all the contests, and the ones specific to the individual contest series).

16. Cogito

I think Daniel regularly looks through the Suggestions forum anyway, but it certainly doesn't hurt to send a "Lookee here!" message if an idea seems to have strong support.

Although I'd hope the group wouldn't flood his Inbox :)!

17. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Lol Cogito, the "Lookee here" comment just made me laugh so much.... (I must be bored!)

Absolutely agree with the idea of having a reference thread. I've mentioned before that maybe instructions and rules should be in a separate stickied and easy to understand thread so that it can be found easily.

18. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well all I have to say is that I am all for it. I think that it is a great idea and will solve a lot of members getting confused.