1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Continuity within the group

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Stammis, Oct 17, 2015.

Without going into too many details ( because there is a lot that needs to be explained!) There are five characters that follow a protagonist. The protagonist has a special item and so does one of the other characters. They have a connection that they dont know about. However, the rest of the main characters has regular weapons, though different. For instance, they have dual daggers, a rapier and fists. Should I make their fighting styles into something special for continuity?

For those that are interested: There are four races, which only difference between them is their eye colour. The eye colour provide them with different powers. There is red, yellow, blue and white. The five main characters also has these eye colours. Thought the protagonist colour is red, so there are two people with red eyes in the group. There is never any focus on their weapons but rather their eye colour. Except for the two people with red eyes. Is it strange if I make two out of the five special in regards to their weapons?

2. seekparadise

seekparadise New Member

Different fighting styles would be pretty cool to read, I like that idea, that way you can create a real concept/persona stemming from each of the different colours for each of the races if that makes sense.
    However, if the connection between the protagonist and the other one with red eyes is supposed to be kept somewhat a secret from the characters themselves, you don't want to make it too obvious throughout.

Stammis likes this.
  3. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Hi, thank you for the response. You actually gave me an idea that I will use. The time line of the novel is that the racial abilities has been long lost and only after the main character posses a certain book will, people that he trusts, gain those abilities again. Basically, people have mixed their races and there are now only a few people with the prime colour and they are considered nobels. Every other colour, green, brown and so on are common people.

I am thinking of adding crests that they encounter through the journey that will give the main characters, and the readers some hints on how their people used to fight.

seekparadise likes this.
  4. Starfire Fly

Starfire Fly Member

I don't think they need to be synchronized to the point that you seem to suggest. Different fighting styles or similar, try to keep the focus on the main point of the story, rather than worry too much about what you might call the garnish. If the focus isn't on the fighting styles, or streamlining the group, then you don't need to flesh out those details as much.

Stammis likes this.