1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

My Main Character and My Main Villain are both racists which has me worried

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Dec 25, 2017.

So my MC is somewhat of a racist he starts out as a very tolerant person but it's the Main Villain that leads him down a path that turns him into somewhat intolerant I say somewhat intolerant because his prejudices are not even close to as a extreme as the MV. Now here's the kicker the MV is a black man who hates white people and he's just all out psychotic there is no middle ground with him he will kill anyone he deems unclean let me give you some context he's the kind of man who would kill his own children if he discovered that his wife had white ancestry.

Now here's my problem I don't want to insinuate or perpetuate a wrong message because my MC is white. Here's the best way I can explain the dynamic they are like in a comic book world with super heroes and villains now MV ruined MC's life and this sent MC down a dark path wanting revenge which lead him to receive training from some non conventional mentors let me put it this though not directly tied to certain organizations he does use white supremacist organizations to gain intel and supplies. Oh and MC's love interest is a biracial woman that doesn't know his secret.

Now MC and MV they truly hate each other and my MC's hatred for MV just keeps building and towards MV and the idea is for them to ultimately end up mirroring each other but MC is just slightly one level above MV if you get what I mean like he never goes full on racist but he teeters on that a few times and it's always when he's confronting MV because MV is just really able to bring MC's rage and vice versa. The two characters really feed off of each other in a negative way.

What I'm wondering is does this sound like a dynamic that has promise or am I flirting with disaster?

2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I'd say there's a couple things you could do to steer clear of that. First, flesh out your MV a bit more. Why does he hate whites so much? There's plenty of history for a general dislike, but for him to be so bad there must be something that happened. It doesn't necessarily even have to be something particularly 'racial', just something he decided to take that way and made him go from 'simmering hate' to 'full blown psycho'.

Second, I question whether or not your MC even needs to be racist? Hating a black man doesn't mean hating all black men, especially if as you say this guy has ruined the MC's life. Just keep it personal not racial on the MC's end and you should be okay?

BayView likes this.
  3. Lankle

Lankle Member

Enemies that have lots in common. Sounds alright to me. Pretty typical and lots of fodder for development.
    Some of the ideas in there reminds me of American History X. Good movie by the way.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

What are you trying to accomplish with this story? What is the message? Because a big, bad black villain vs. a white good guy who is racist leaves me wondering what the point of introducing racism into your story is. Honestly, with the way the world is today, I would have no interest reading this book based on what you have said. I can't help but think there could be a better way to tell your story than making everyone racist. Surely, there is a lot more to your characters and your story. I hope so at least.

5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That's so far over-the-top it transcends both cartoon and caricature. I'm not sure Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle at their spoofiest could make that compelling. Unrelated, but are you allergic to punctuation marks or something?

Iain Aschendale likes this.