1. JaM1221

JaM1221 New Member

Scales(music)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JaM1221, Jan 31, 2009.

I'm in eighth grade and I'm auditioning for a regional festival. I play the viola and am finding it hard to remember my scales. I need to remember the fingering to C major, G major, D major, A major, F major, Bb major, and Eb major scales. I have to play two octaves for each scale.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. lostpyrate

lostpyrate New Member

Um, you might want to try practicing until your fingers bleed, then practicing some more. Unfortunately, the only way to learn them well enough is to use them so much that they become a part of you. When you're doing scales in your sleep, you've almost practiced enough.

Sorry, no easy way out on this one. Best of luck!

3. JaM1221

JaM1221 New Member

Thanks, I look at the sheet of whole and half steps whenever I get a chance and can't play. Sometimes I'll finger them but it doesn't seems to stick.
    Thanks for helping, I'll try it out. Atleast once I'm done with this audition I'll never forget the scales.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

You might want to keep practicing till your fingers fall off. Then you can replace them with crazy cool cybernetic enhancements that can play faster :p.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I play violin or use to.

I use to write down on my sheet music what note was what note.
    And I even put stickers on my violin to remember finger placement.

6. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I did the very same thing when I was learning both piano and guitar; it's a great suggestion, very helpful. Just be sure to remove them before the festival! If it's a competition, some might view that as cheating. ;)

LostPyrate and LordofHats also have good suggestions. Leaka's suggestion is helpful only if you never stop practicing; you wont get anywhere if you dont practice like crazy.

Try finding a primary or intermediate level "teach-yourself" book; authors often include a song that helps players learn techniques such as scales.

Good luck at your festival!

7. JaM1221

JaM1221 New Member

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I finished all my homework for the weekend so I can practice until my fingers fall off Sunday. I have a week until the audition. We have to play Bouree by George F. Handel, play the scales, and then sight read.
    We (my school orchestra) had stickers when we were learning but have taken them off. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Thanks to everyone that have posted.