1. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Trying A Volunteer Job That Isn't The Right Fit For You Isn't Failure

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MainerMikeBrown, Jul 21, 2013.

Finding a volunteer job that works for you can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

However, while many find volunteer jobs that works for them, some people may take on a volunteer job that doesn't work out.

Take me, for instance. A few years ago, I decided to volunteer at a local animal shelter. And I discovered that volunteering at an animal shelter wasn't for me.

So was the experience a failure for me? No, because I tried it. To me, the only way I could've failed is if I had never volunteered there at all.

It's great to find a volunteer job that works for you. But if you try a volunteer job and you don't like it, the experience wasn't a failure because you tried it. You gave it a shot.
    That's commendable. And chances are, you'll find another volunteer job that will work for you.

2. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

I did about twenty hours of community service at an animal shelter. Saw some sick shit in there.

3. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

I just recently left my volunteer work after seeing someone bullied - I realised I and all the other volunteer's were just being used as free labour. I miss it, but almost all of the volunteer work in this town is managed by the same body. I need something to do though, otherwise I'm seriously going to go beserk.

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Oh. I thought this was going to say that it wasn't a failure because the organization still got help, not that you still got something out of it.