1. APAwriter

APAwriter New Member

APA-Citation

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by APAwriter, Jun 7, 2011.

Hello,

I was wondering about the appropriate citation for the following article/publication:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_249.pdf

I don't know who to use for the authors because they have different subsets of the workforce working to produce these statistics (different divisions with different names). Another issue that I see is that it has 3 different possible "publishers", identified as:

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
    National Center for Health Statistics

Though I am not even sure if that is the hierarchical order of the publishers, which would mean that the main one would be the HHS? And if not, should I use "National Center for Health Statistics? Or...?

Help please!

2. James Scarborough

James Scarborough New Member

3. APAwriter

APAwriter New Member

It gave me a citation like this:

US Department of Human and Health Services. National Center for Health Statistics. Summary Health Statistics for U.S. Adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2010 (10 ed.) (249). Hyattsville, Maryland: U.S. Department of Human and Health Services. Retrieved June 7, 2011 from the World Wide Web: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_249.pdf.

Does this seem correct for a government doc? And in reference to an in-text citation, would it be okay to use "(National Center for Health Statistics, 2010)".

Sorry about all the questions. This is the first time I am citing a government publication and it's for a very important paper.

4. James Scarborough

James Scarborough New Member

I haven't done any academic writing for years and don't want you to rely on my advice on something so important. My best suggestion is to ask a librarian to help you. They're great resources and usually eager to help.

5. APAwriter

APAwriter New Member

Ok, will do. Thank you, James!

6. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I have only ever seen APA used in lab reports and scientific papers. The one I use to use for lab reports was foot notes. You foot note the reference and in the footer you site author, title and so on like MLA but you don't use a works sited page.

When doing research papers it is common to use MLA because you can site the page and paragraph. APA is much loser and has different styles. I would ask your teacher or the forum your are posting to for their rules on using APA.

7. APAwriter

APAwriter New Member

I figured it out, I found a version of the same PDF that gave a "recommended citation" format in APA style!

I was specifically told to write in APA so I had no choice.

Thank you, Jim!

8. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    That looks plausible to me. You might like to look at Zotero, a (free) plugin to the (free) Firefox web browser, with (free) interfacces to MS Word and OpenOffice.org. It manages a database of publications you might want to cite -- it will automatically generate them from many websites, notably the book listings on Amazon, or you can enter them manually. Then it will manage the citations and bibliography in your document. You tell it which document you want to cite and it pastes in the citation in the correct format and automatically updates the bibliography. APA is one of the supported styles. I found it a literal [1] lifesaver when I was doing a lot of academic writing.

[1] In the popular sense of "literal", i.e., "not literal".:D