1. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

How Infuriating

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by Flying Geese, Aug 22, 2013.

I have already finished my novel. I finished it about two or three days ago. I am trying to convert it into an ebook. Easy enough. I have been at this for the past 27+ hours...

I have used Openoffice to do the writing. Everything is finished except for one thing. The table of contents. For some reason I can't seem to get the table of contents to work correctly. The links work just fine. The problem is that in the TOC that appears in the Kindle and other devices keeps showing a duplicate chapter 3 and then my chapter 16 link only partially shows. Why? I have no idea... I have been looking at tutorials and whiling away the hours trying to read and fix this problem. No luck.

I have yet to find someone who has had a similar struggle. Perhaps one of you can help? I am so ready to put my book online. I think it'll do alright (here's hoping), If i could just FINISH THE TOC!

2. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

for a minute I actually thought about giving up writing when I realized that I had already completed the book. Perhaps this is some glitch in Openoffice...

3. alexandriadeloraine

alexandriadeloraine Member

Hey there Flying Geese;

Formatting for e-publishing can be a real pain in the butt, but congratulations on finishing your
    book. ^.^ Once you get through the headache that is formatting, don't forget to drop us a link to
    the finished product.

- Alexandria de Loraine

P.S. Is your book fiction or non-fiction?

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If you have any computer savvy friends, I'd say ask them to have a look in person. I remember when I was trying to configure Calibre to remove the DRM or DRC code (I don't remember what that code is called) and I followed all the instructions, installed the right plugins etc, and still it wouldn't work. I was done scratching my head and asked my husband to have a look, as he's an IT guy, and I dunno what he did, but after about 10min he got it to work.

You may also have more luck on more technical forums. There must be communities around Kindles and ebook formatting. I'd advise you to go there, rather than here. True that some people on here will know how to deal with creating an ebook, but it sounds like you have a specific problem that any of us giving you a general guideline wouldn't help. You need people who can ask you specific questions and give recommendations for either sites to read or actual steps to follow.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

It's because you double link-backed. If that makes sense. I write in word, and in word you have to add a bookmark code for the TOC to operate properly on kindle and such. But the double chapter is because of the link backs. Delete the link back entirely and just do it once and that will clear up. Do the same with the one that isn't showing up properly.

You need it to only link one way - to the TOC - but it sounds like you have the TOC linked back to the headings as well and that's not what you want.

I hope that makes sense. It's really hard for me to explain since I'm not very techie. But I've been there, and I feel your pain lol.