1. DemonKing

DemonKing Member

Convinceing a military army to join another army.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DemonKing, Oct 14, 2017.

im working on the sequel to my book and in one chapter he finds out about 30,000 cryogenically frozen millitary officers. And with the galaxy at war Caption Austin moves to unfreeze then. See the idea is out of the 500,000 frozen only 30,000 survived and there all low ranking officers. So when Austin unfreezes them I'm wanting him to offer to let them join his army. Becouse the army the frozen officers where in had fallen to the alliance (who fought them in a 30 year war) they have no where to go and the cryo facility they are in dosnt have long before the invading alien force attacks. But I'm having trouble thinking of how the negotiations should go. Like should they be able to grasp the situation and join him? Or should they be resistant. Or should Austin give a speech? Keep in mind the officers know becouse there faction had fallen to the alliance there is no longer any safe harbor for them. So they rather become nomads in 30-40 year old ships or join Austins army and at lest have a safe haven. So yeah what do you think I would take to get one Army to join another.

2. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

No speeches. All the best military speeches are monosyllabic.

Also, no army is a "safe haven." The whole reason we pay soldiers is to get shot at.

Most entertaining reason for me would be, "Hey, want a chance to kick some ass?" More convincing if it's someone you want revenge on.

Edit:

One more point: at this juncture, you're not convincing an army, because the "army" no longer exists. Its chain of command is broken, as is the nation they worked for, right? So, legally and morally, they're just dudes who got thawed out. You're convincing dudes to join an army.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Agreeing with Archer here. Soldiers fight because that is what they do. Men who are warriors at heart if they can't find a reason to fight are not shy about making one up, history is full of it. Prestige with a pay check getting to do something they are good at...Plus guys in uniform always get the girls, that might be the best reason for joining an army, along with blowing stuff up in a new and exciting place.

John-Wayne likes this.
  4. DemonKing

DemonKing Member

Ok so then what if the caption appeases to the fact they can fight humanity's enemy (the aliens they where informed about them before being frozen) and get a chance to kick the alliance in the teeth a few times along the way as ensntive.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Re: "See the idea is out of the 500,000 frozen only 30,000 survived and there all low ranking officers. "

But presumably someone is still the highest rank.

So if they're all still frozen, AND if the desire is to respect their chain of command and respect their identity, AND if the rank information is available, one possible option would be to wake that highest ranked officer and negotiate with him.

(By the way, why are they all officers? Not one single ordinary soldier survived?)

6. DemonKing

DemonKing Member

I used officers as a general term they are officers of the army but of the 30,000 there's a collection of soilgers, a few scientists, 5 250 people ship crews, engineers. And the highest ranking officer is a lieutenant. Becouse the other two cryo facility's where destroyed by metiors. There facility was for low ranking members of there army and support staff. and btw they where frozen in hopes they could hide until the alien army's left and then begin humanity again.

7. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

If they were in the army before, wouldn't they apply the same reasons for joining up now that they did the first time around? Thus, I think most of them would want to join.

Also, why did they die in the first place?

8. DemonKing

DemonKing Member

T
    They didn't die, there government learned of the alien invasion and released they couldn't win, so they froze 300,000 personnel in hopes they would stay hidden until the aliens left. Then they would be all that's left of humanity. They didn't realize the aliens would mine every resource there galaxy has.

Seren likes this.