1. PhilipClevberger

PhilipClevberger New Member

From building blocks to written draft

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by PhilipClevberger, Aug 11, 2013.

Hello everyone,

The concept of the story has been created.
    All the events and what order they happen have been worked out.
    So has the characters and the setting.

All these parts feel great and everyone I have explained the story to likes it.

My problem is, I can't put it into words. it feels gripping and exciting in my mind, and it still does when I casually explain it, but I can't get the language right (I think?)
    I want it to be like a gripping news article, that grabs you and holds your attention all the way through.

Has anyone got any tips, on how I can go from having all the details worked out, to a first draft of the story in written from?

Thank you in advance

Best regards
    Philip

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just start writing it. You won't know what to improve until you have something upon which to improve. ;)

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

This. I spent years wondering how to get a novel down onto paper, but the answer is to simply write it! Once I took the advice, I wrote a novel in about two months, and I've never regretted it. Just beat out a first draft, get your story down, then think about how to make it gripping. :)

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Planning is the boring part. Writing is exciting. Get to it and keep going until you are finished. There's no magic formula, just editing ;)

5. PhilipClevberger

PhilipClevberger New Member

Thanks guys, I guess I will just get it down on paper, no matter how rubbish it may be in the first instance, or if parts feel to long or short.
    I guess it will be some sort of foundation to work from.
    Im just sketching up a story board, very crude, to remember what happens when when I write.

Thanks again

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

A couple of things with which to make peace if this is your first novel (or even if not):

• Your first few pages may just be warm up. There's a good chance you'll chuck them in the bin.
    • Your actual Chapter #1 may not show up until Chapter #3 or so. Be ready to fold Chapters 1 and 2 deeper into the story.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Remember that as you write, new ideas will occur to you - nuances of your characters or complications of a simple situation will take you in directions you could not have anticipated. So, my advice is to use your storyboard or outline as a starting point and don't be afraid to move away from it when the fresh ideas occur to you.

Also, your post sounds to me like someone who is determined to get everything straight before setting it out on paper. Please don't. A great idea set down on paper often reads less well than expected, and editing is necessary. One of my all time favorite writers, James Michener, once said, "I'm not a very good writer. But I'm an excellent rewriter.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

philip...
    the best way to learn how to write is to READ!

constant reading of the best writers' works will show you how it's done... no one can become a good writer without first being a good reader...