Cool things for an older person to teach a teen...

Discussion in 'Research' started by BayView, Aug 21, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

rather worryingly my first thought was "sexual techniques" (that's often my first thought, more often than is strictly healthy)

Dragging my mind out of the gutter, what about something against type like mechanics , or computer coding , or how to use a chainsaw...

BayView likes this.
  2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I think it's in the General Guide to Forum Happenings that all threads must derail at least one time before they are no more than thirty posts long. o_O

jannert and BayView like this.
  3. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I'm pretty good in this area from first hand experience. I'm not a an eighteen year old girl though and my unlce (my mentor) wasn't an 80 year old woman. Heck, he didn't teach most of things people on this list mentioned but he gave me so much that its hard not to think of him several times through the day.

I learned how delicious steak and fish were from him, learned that eating the head of a trout is pretty good, taught me how to use fire in safe ways but how neat it is to, the basics of driving, he gave me the joy of reading and writing, taught me to live with no regrets, stop and help people in trouble and give back to the homeless if you've got enough cash on you, taught me not to take life serious and how to laugh....find humor in anything.

He gave and taught me so many things and I can't possibly list them all.

The last thing he taught me was loss.

I don't mean to sound gloomy but its true cause not a day goes by that I don't miss or think about him. I'm not depressed of course (its been about four years) but the feeling of losing someone who made you into their semi-clone on accident isn't something you really move on from.

I never much was concerned with cursive, I'm pretty crap at it (though it should still be used for name signing) and the future doesn't usually really scare me on a daily basis. I mean sure sometimes I worry about things here or there but overall I like to have a more optimistic view or even view of things but I'm young....so shouldn't be to worried about it in the first place.

LIFE HAS BEEN GREAT FOR ME SO FAR! :)

But the thing that I do worry about is waking up and having to remember he's gone. It happens ALL the time and I dream about him a lot to. I kinda consider dreaming about him sorta of the best way we can spend time together still whether its a message from the otherside or its just normal dreaming, I'don't know but....its nice.

So yes he taught me more about myself and how to be a good person then he did teaching me how to change a car's oil or anything like that and he taught me what its like to a lose a little piece of you when someone's number gets pulled.

He just spent time with me.

I'm not sure the kinda writer you are Bay but you're already published and all, so far aheaad of me so far. :p You'll figure it out just let it flow naturally, ya know? If you write about a younger character who is connected to or looks up to an older one....they'll learn on their own.

Whether its how eat the head off a fish or balance the budget. :p

YOU GOT THIS!

Scot, jannert and BayView like this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Yes, that's true about writing. Modern people have baby writing, they're so stupid, it gives me great hope satisfaction.

Something nasty like returning goods to shops, or free burgers in Mcdonalds? [no] Insurance fraud? Maybe she's one of these old people obsessed with 'Free Gifts' from marketing scams, [no] or she gives all her money to sanctuaries for goats. [no] Makes me feel so Little Miss Sunshine, this great thread.

I got it. She teaches the youngster archaic swim stroke The Trudgen.

GingerCoffee, BayView and Spencer1990 like this.