By Earp on Aug 21, 2022 at 9:52 PM
  1. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Copyright

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Earp, Aug 21, 2022.

I think this is something that everyone here should be interested in:

From the article:

Audible has a hard and fast rule: if you’re a publisher or writer who wants to sell your audiobook on Audible, you have to let it be wrapped in "Digital Rights Management," aka DRM: digital locks that permanently bind your work to the Audible platform.

Lawless likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Earp, Aug 21, 2022.

1. SapereAude
      SapereAude
      How does this relate to the copyright?
    2. Steerpike
      Steerpike
      May be due to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act prohibiting circumvention of DRM.
    3. Bruce Johnson
      Bruce Johnson
      I was a little confused by this, but decided not to post, but I'll do it now:

Does it just bind that particular file or download with DRM or are you saying they require you to give them perpetual copyright for the digital file?

Also, does it require perpetual exclusivity for the respective work and intellectual property?

I don't see a big issue with Amazon wrapping the file in DRM, to me it would be similar to Netflix allowing someone to buy a movie for offline viewing that can be only viewed with their app (assuming they had such an app).

But I do think portability would be preferable for consumers and self publishers.