1. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

Copywriter trying hand at novels

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by evild4ve, Oct 17, 2021.

Hello all,

I'm looking for help with some particular techniques and I've signed up here because your forum offers the best range, depth and ease-of-joininess.

I've been successful as a commercial writer all my life (doing everything from press ads to equity proposals) and have taken a break to write 3 novels. They are new-weird YA fantasy stories.

It has been odd adjusting to how long novels are, but I'm learning to focus on characters for long enough for a reader to 'get' them, and to describe backgrounds rather than leaving them blank. I feel it's going well and having been going for 2 years, I have a first draft, a second draft, and a half-finished first draft in the works.

I'll be happy to help out with beta-reading or proof-reading if people need that.

Thanks for reading and for making this forum I've already found it really useful

ItzAmber, Yonathan Asefaw and Xoic like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

That sounds really cool. I love weird fiction, with a preference for the classic, but new weird is cool too.

Welcome to this weird place, I think you'll fit right in.

evild4ve likes this.
  3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that Salman Rushdie also started out as a copywriter...although I don't think he was aiming for the YA market in any of his novels. Good luck with everything.

evild4ve likes this.