1. frail

frail New Member

Smoking in Winter Weather

Discussion in 'Research' started by frail, Sep 3, 2019.

Context: While on a walk in cold 'see your breath' weather, Character A sees Character B smoking a cigarette. POV switches to Character B later on, so good to know outside looking in and vice versa.
    I thought I had a good hold of the mechanics of the scene, but I've only managed to confuse myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. How does smoking differ during winter/colder weather vs warmer weather?
    2. Particularly, how does smoke compare to visible breath? Can they be distinguished from each other? How do they interact in the air, if at all?
    3. Does cold air smother the smell at all when outside? Like, can someone some distance away smell the smoke better or worse than normal?
    4. Does the cold make the smoke smell worse/stronger than normal on the person smoking, like on their clothes, when they go inside?
    5. Does smoking in cold weather make a person feel warmer or colder, or is there no difference?

2. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

cigarette smoke can have a subtly different color--it's just a tiny bit nictotine brown, but the difference is so slight i think only someone with acute color vision could tell.

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Cigarette smoke lingers and floats oddly, sort of heavy. It is a deeper gray. It does nothing to make you feel warmer. Smell of cigarette smoke is entirely dependent on the humidity outside. Heavy air carries water molecules which trap the smell and amplify it. If it is extremely cold outside, the air is likely dry, thus a shorter distance the smell is carried.

Humid breath dissipates quickly and is nearly white in color. It also raises much faster.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. frail

frail New Member

@hyacinthe and @EFMingo thank you! That was exactly the info I needed.

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well smoke is thicker than breath, and does kinda cling in the air longer. :)