1. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

Speaking to/of royalty

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Flying Geese, Aug 8, 2015.

I've been delving into several stories to get some inspiration for speaking to members of a royal family. I've learned a whole lot, but one thing I can't seem to figure out is why in some stories people address kings as "Your Grace" and in others "Your Majesty". So far, I have yet to see anyone use these titles interchangeably, so I am assuming they mean slightly different things? Or am I wrong? Can I use both to create a little variety in my writing?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I got some decent links by Googling

addressing nobility your grace

It appears that "Your Grace" is for dukes and duchesses--the actual duke or duchess, not their spouses. Your Majesty for the actual king or queen, and I believe not their spouse.

I recall that Miss Manners noted that "Ma'am" is an adequately correct title for addressing the Queen of England, if you're uncomfortable with the more servile forms of address.

3. Flying Geese

This is what I have been thinking. Although I recently watched an episode of Game of Thrones. And they addressed the king (Joffrey) as "Your Grace". I don't understand, but I don't really watch game of thrones enough to know the backstory.

4. terobi

terobi Senior Member

I would assume that these things differ from culture to culture - so if you're doing a fantasy thing with your own fictional monarchy, come up with whatever courtesy title you want.

The British monarchy's official website (who says they're not modern) says that the correct way to address the Queen is "Your Majesty" - with other members of the royal family being addressed as "Your Royal Highness".

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. terobi

terobi Senior Member

That may just be poor research or simply indifference on George R. R. Martin's part. He has said several times that he wishes he'd done a bit more work on titles for the houses of Westeros, creating various barons and dukes and so on rather than just having everyone from the most powerful houses to the minor bannermen use the title "lord".

6. Flying Geese

Oh ok cool, Terobi, I didn't know that.

7. Diablo101

Diablo101 New Member

I don't see any current reigning monarchs use the style 'His/Her Grace' But I see ruling monarchs styled 'His/Her Serene Highness, Highness, Royal highness, His/Her Majesty, Imperial Majesty' And as they are styled like this, it is assumed you would use the same speaking style. Examples:
    'Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of England' Of which you should say, 'Your Majesty'
    'His Serene Highness, Prince Albert II of Monaco' Of which you should say 'Your Highness'

But yes, Dukes and Duchesses are spoken to as Your grace.
    But in a fictional world, such as Game of Thrones, its really up to you. Different speaking styles like your grace could be used because of anything, religion, divinity etc, only GRRM knows about that in his GoT world... Because I didnt research why he used Your grace... Maybe Your majesty was too overused for him :p

Hope this helps. And sorry if I don't make much sense :p

Flying Geese likes this.