1. Edwardxtwilightfan

Edwardxtwilightfan New Member

Need help with ideas.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Edwardxtwilightfan, May 25, 2009.

I'm new here and I'm not sure if this thread goes here. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

So I've been writing this story where (i'm going to try and make this as short as possible) this girl gets pregnant by this guy that she hates due to them getting drunk and..yeah, but the guy is oh so madly in love with her to the point where he is pretty much a stalker. The girl is confused about how she really feels about the guy, often going from intense feelings of hate to maybe liking him.

Anyhow, her ex best friend's ex husband (i know,confusing.) asked her out and she said accepted. (Her ex best friend cheated on him for the stalkerish guy that got the girl pregnant (drama!)) The ex husband is a really sweet guy and stuff...but I'm having doubts on whether they should stay together or not.

And in addition to all that drama, the ex husband's psycho former girlfriend from before he got married came back and wants to be with him again. Naturally she's pissed that he just got out of a marriage and is already dating someone again (only cuz its not her he's dating) and will pretty much manipulate and and do whatever she can to break them apart. And if she doesn't break them apart maybe she'll get depressed and commit suicide or something, not sure, but I want the psycho ex out of the picture.

And then there's the baby thing. I'm not sure what should happen to it, though I am leaning more to it dying only because that could possibly bring the girl and the guy she hates closer and maybe make the girl realize she likes him. THEN there's the question of how it's going to die. I'm thinking more of having it born prematurely so that it's lungs aren't completely mature yet and so it can't breath and dies soon after it's born. Is that too stupid?

Also I'm thinking of adding even MORE drama to the whole thing by having the girl start flat lining right after the baby is born (I'm still not sure of what the reason could be, i need help with that too xD) and i don't know, maybe while she's technically dead she sees the psycho ex girlfriend holding her newborn baby and smiling wickedly and saying something along the lines of since she cant have the guy, she cant have the baby or something like that and leaves with it. Then the girl is brought back and everyone is all upset cuz they thought she was a goner and all that, and then she finds out that the baby is indeed dead just like the 'vision' or whatever you wanna call it while she was dead. (Also it's worth mentioning that the girl 'died' right after the baby was born. she never got to see it, so that's not what the 'vision' was caused by or anything)

Yeah, so I need help with the stuff mentioned above. Also, is all of this too cliché (or more specifically, the part about the 'vision' thingy)? Also, general tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. :D

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Here is a good place to start. What is plot creation and development? It's a stickied thread in the forum you created this one in.

Good luck!

3. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Being born premature is generally not a death sentence on its own these days. Do some research on infant mortality to decide what would be a believable way for the baby to die. And please, strike th e word cliche from your vocabulary. I've known some writers who claim almost every book they read is cliche. It's a waist of time worrying about it. When I discussed cliche in my writing class, plots were not mentioned once. It was about specific phrases and images that everyone uses.

4. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

right, to start with i think it may be all to confusing to write. but if you want the baby to die i htink the best way you could do it is her having a DOA (dead on arival) this might not fit in with the rest of the story but thats how i would write it.
    as i said above, it is wayto confusing and maybe you should slim down on the sub-plots!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

6. bc1

bc1 New Member

She's asking for ideas and advice...how is the 'what is plot creation and development' going to help her? She has already created her plot.

7. garmar69

Umm...no she hasn't. Every question she asked was geared toward garnering opinions about story ideas. If you were to read the article by following the link above, you would realize the difference between plot and idea. There is a difference as surprising as it seems.

8. bc1

bc1 New Member

So how is it going to give her specific ideas on her story?
    Her questions were about story ideas, can't we just give them to her instead of sending her somewhere else?
    Every time someone has a question, someone else tries to send them somewhere else...what's the point in coming on here to ask for advice if no one wants to answer?

9. garmar69

That link is here, on this website. The whole point is that this same question in different forms comes up over and over. The information is already here if members would just take the time to look.

No one here can be of any help until the story is written. I don't see how confirmation that any given idea is a great one, or terrible one, helps in the writing process at all.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

bc1, have you ever heard the proverb:
    Some questions are pointless to answer directly, so it is better to point the person in a different direction, to find his or her own answers.

11. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

I just wanted to back up Cogito and Garmar in saying that if we tell her what ideas she should use, or which ones not to use. Then it's not her writing the story anymore. It's now a collaboration between the forum. She needs to figure out which direction feels right to her or it's no longer her writing.

12. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I have to agree with bc1 on this, she is not asking us what we think of the plot, she is asking advice on how to make it better. in my books they are two totally different things

13. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Instead of arguing about the best way to be helpful, can you guys all accept that you have different methods of helping, and do what you think is best?

To the OP, I realize that you're asking for suggestions, not simply whether or not we like the plot. The thing is, it's not very clear what kinds of suggestions you are asking for, and your summary of what you already have is very longwinded. Before you post questions in this thread, make sure you know exactly what you need help with, and create a more concise summary.

14. bc1

bc1 New Member

Thank you fantasy girl. I didn't mean to strike a nerve in anybody...I just think that we can give ideas and the writer doesn't necessarily have to use it in their novel but they can take our advice and grow.

Cognito, I understand the saying and it's actually one of my favorites.