1. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

Private Jets

Discussion in 'Research' started by joeh1234, Jun 23, 2016.

Hello All, I have never been on a private jet so I wouldn't know but do they always need a co-pilot? Also does a private planes pilot, need to produce documentation on the day or show some form of certification each time they fly. If any one knows that would be fantastic, if not that's fine.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I have never been in a private jet either, but from what I know of helicopter licenses and protocoll (I do have extensive knowledge there) and PPLs I'd assume that safety is a big factor in private jets either. A helicopter has to have a second pilot if a certain number of people on board is exceeded and it also depends on the number of engines and documentation is crucial. For helicopters, all flights have to be cleared before, with ETA and ETDs given to the authorities. Given that a private jet would have to take off from an airport (which is not always the case for helicopters) I'd assume the same protocoll applies to them, only more restricted. Certificate (I presume to mean the certificate of the pilot) needs to be shown to the authorities on both airports. Granted, if the airport in question is a small port and the pilot(s) well known they might be faster in clearance but even though, one can't just walk up and take off.

If you require more definite information tell me and I can ask a contact.

3. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

Hey thanks for that that's really kind of you.
    So the reason I ask is in my story, 2 wealthy business partners are due to fly in the private jet and they always use the same pilot. Just as they are about to head to the airport the pilot informs them he is too ill to fly. Someone who works for the wealthy business owners used to be in the army and has flown all types of planes and helicopters, he offers to fly for them. SO in my make believe scenario, 3 of them goto the airport the pilot meets them and he shows his papers to say he can fly and the ex-army guy fly's the plane for them.

I will look into this engine criteria you mentioned. cheers joe