1. Anna101

Anna101 New Member

Could use an American help.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Anna101, Feb 12, 2017.

I have started writing in English, but it is not my native language. I could really use some help from an American (or any other person his native language is English), to read what I wrote so far and tell me if there are any grammar mistakes or anything like that.
    I don't know any Americans or English teachers.

I hope I came to the right place, if not I'm terribly sorry.

2. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

What is your first language. Maybe that would help us find someone who'd be able to work with you better.

3. Anna101

Anna101 New Member

It really doesn't metter, I know English perfectly fine, just worried I might have some small mistakes, that only a native English person will know.
    My native language is Hebrew, btw.

4. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

The reason I ask is perhaps someone from the forums might also be bi-lingual, and maybe understand parallels in terms of idioms.

Are you looking specifically to address the American literature market? I'm British so while English is my native language (Hebrew is not in my repertoire) I use Anglican expressions.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

It's interesting that your first thought for somebody to help with English was an American, with any other English-speaking person (like, an Englishman perhaps?) as the next-best thing.

6. Anna101

Anna101 New Member

Thank you for the help. I am not looking specifically to American, but I think this is the English I know. I'm using American natives and such, I'm not really familiar with Anglican expressions. And honestly, I think I might have entered a too serious writting forum, my work is amateurish.

The reason I have asked for an American first is because British has their own certain way of language, if you know what I mean. But I have no problem with any other person, as I said in the brackets.

The way you corrected me just now is exactly the help I need with my story, because in my language we have different grammar rools.
    (And I meant "Americans, or English teacher)

7. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

It may be more beneficial to simply post a small sample with a disclaimer that Hebrew is your native language so to specifically critique the grammar and idioms. I think people here would be more generous like that. You could probably also post something in Hebrew and ask for advise in translating it. I'm sure there are plenty of Jewish member here.

Anna101 likes this.