Tags:
  1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Suggestion could we get warnings about backups?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by jannert, Nov 7, 2018.

Just a suggestion. I was near the end of composing a detailed post this morning when everything suddenly stopped ...because the site decided to do a 10-minute backup. Of course, when the backup finished, my post was totally lost.

Not that it was necessarily a wonderful post, but it was annoying to lose it so unexpectedly. This could be particularly aggravating if you were just finishing up a detailed critique.

Is it possible to issue prior warnings, maybe in the announcement sidebar, of when these backups are scheduled? In plenty of time so we can avoid trying to use the forum while the backups are happening? That way we won't get caught out.

BayView likes this.
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree with your idea in general, but meanwhile: I always compose long posts in a separate application, to eliminate the risk of losing them.

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I sometimes do that as well. But other times not. It's a lot of faff, the formatting often needs to be adjusted, and it makes it difficult to refer to the original post at the same time as writing about it, or quote from it—which can be important.

In this case, I was just posting on a thread, and it was no big deal. But it would be nice to get advance warning.