1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Suggestion Could we have an alerts plugin please?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mashers, Aug 11, 2017.

I like most of the features of Xenforo, but the way it handles alerts is not one of them. As soon as you view the alerts tab, all of the alerts are marked as read. That means you have to count down the list of alerts to make sure you view them all. If you don’t go far enough, you miss alerts. If you go too far, you re-read things about which you have already been notified. This is tedious, and also means you can’t practically save alerts for later because you would lose your place.

There are various plugins which alter the alerts system, such as this one:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/alert-improvements-by-xon.4578/

Among the features of this plugin is “User Option to prevent marking as read when accessing /accounts/alerts page”. I believe this would give the users control over whether or not alerts stay unread when opening the alerts tab (and presumably until they are clicked).

Would it be possible for this plugin to be considered for installation? It would really improve my enjoyment of the site, and maybe others too.

jannert, BayView, Trish and 2 others like this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'll chip in and say I find this a pain, too. Good idea, mashers :agreed:

jannert and Trish like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

like all the other cool plug ins out there the issue here is likely to be that wrey doesn't have keys to that part of WF towers ... so it will require the presence of the lesser spotted Daniel if when he migrates back this way

also xen foro 2 is rolling out so it may not make that much sense to buy stuff to plug in before the upgrade

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    jannert and Trish like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I also agree that this a huge pain (last night I had 27 alerts and I'm sure I missed some), but I also understand what Moose is saying - so maybe if we could just keep it in mind for the future?

5. mashers

Yeah I know @Wreybies can’t do this directly, but could perhaps discuss with the site owners if this is considered a useful suggestion. This particular plugin is MIT licensed so there would be no financial cost, so it might be worth a go even if XF2 might implement this natively.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Daniel is not the most present owner .... there's a thread somewhere for reporting Daniel sightings which gives you some idea of the issue

7. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

That's no reason not to suggest improvements to the site though! It's not urgent, so posting a thread for Daniel to see when he appears seems sensible.

8. big soft moose

I quite agree, I'm just saying don't expect it quickly.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just to add my 2p... I'm certainly pro this idea. I depend on the alerts to let me know when to award medals to contest winners and the one look and it all goes away nature of the standard alert function often stymies me and I end up not being as timely as I would like to be with the awarding of medals.

10. mashers

Thanks dude. Do you have contact with the owners? If so, this would seem to be a fairly straightforward adjustment to make (assuming the plugin engine is already installed on the server).

11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Oooh, add another voice to liking this idea!

12. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

We already have other plugins, so installing it shouldn't be a problem (unless it requires some kind of extensive setup to go through to get all features set up properly, etc. etc.). It's all just a matter of getting hold of @Daniel (which I don't think should be too hard for Wrey, although I'm not sure), have him approve the idea, hope he has enough time on his hands to install it, etc. ;)

13. Komposten

Also, does anyone know what the little "sun" symbols in the alerts list mean? At first I thought they meant "New alert you haven't clicked on", but even after looking at my alerts they are still there...
    upload_2017-8-11_16-0-18.png

14. big soft moose

maybe we should have a definitive list of plug ins for the great day that the king returns :D (similar threads 5.3 being the other one recently discussed)

15. big soft moose

Its a weather forecast :D

16. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Are they to denote alerts in the last ten minutes? I have 5 - the last one being at 9 minutes ago and the next at 11 minutes doesn't have one?

17. Komposten

Just had a quick read about what XenForo 2.0 entails. It seems to be a really, really big upgrade that will presumably take some time to set up. And XenForo writes "The entire software architecture has been rewritten for enhanced efficiency, stability and speed of development." which might mean that every existing plugin will have to be re-written (although if they have managed to keep their scripting system identical to XenForo 1.x it shouldn't be a problem), and thus we would have to wait for that before an upgrade. If we (read: Daniel) decide to install an alerts plugin, we should probably have time for that before a potential 2.0 upgrade. :)

Could be. I also have an alert that was 9 minutes ago (with a sun) and one from 11 minutes ago (without sun).

Trish likes this.
  18. big soft moose

Ive got one from 12 minutes ago with sun

19. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I do. I was actually getting a little worried that I hadn't seen him in a while when I noticed that the donations plugin hadn't been updated, something with which he is usually very timely. Also, of course, I wanted him to see the great strides made with the ETB Project. He's just moved house (I hope that's not to personal too disclose), so he's in that "my life is made of boxes" mode at the moment. He'll be along as soon as he's settled in.

Fernando.C and jannert like this.
  20. mashers

@Komposten
    I think the little suns time out automatically. They are intended, as far as I can tell, to denote a new alert. However, they don't really help when you have a lot to read through as they don't disappear when you actually click the alert.

@Wreybies
    There's no rush. If it could be considered at some point, that would be grand. But I understand the owners are busy so I don't mean to pressurise anyone.

Fernando.C likes this.
  21. big soft moose

Dude I moved four years ago ... I still have stuff in boxes