1. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Could you help me pick a name please?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by I.A. By the Barn, Jan 9, 2017.

Because I'm an annoying wotsit and must be writing more than one thing at once I have started writing the story of an immortal soldier. His name is Raf so he's sorted.
    I'm quite far into (we won't call it a first draft, it's more like brain explosion on a page) this thing but for one of the characters I can't think of a good name for him so I have been using the * for a place-holder but it is annoying me as I write seeing ****ing *** everywhere.
    This character is romantically tied with Raf after an intense friendship between the two and is also a soldier. He is one of the 'zooamorph' people I've invented and takes the form of a sea eagle on the full moon. He is from a farming background so he won't have anything posh.
    But yeah, I can't pick a good name for him for the life of me. Sorry to annoy you with yet another thread of this type!
    I have a few options but please suggest any you think that'll suit him! Green= personal favourites
    Cees
    Diede
    Fabian
    Gabriël (this one I like the sound of but it's a world of my invention so...)
    Kobe
    Lau
    Luuk
    Peter
    Theo

2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

Take what you've got and try switching them round a little, Iyay. (Fabriel and Gabrian, for instance, sound suitably mystical).

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Steven Sea Eagle. :p

Pick anything, but don't pick something impossible to pronounce.

zoupskim and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  4. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

I like Peter. It's simple, easy to pronounce, and reminds me of someone nice. Not to pick. but a name like Gabriel is too anachronistic, epic, knowing, take what you like; It's just too inhuman and unrealistic. I know it's fiction/fantasy, but you want shades of realism. If people are going to say this guy's name all the time, you want something simple and like-able.

Keep writing!

Lifeline and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  5. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Yeah? :D Need to write some more from him then ;)

zoupskim likes this.
  6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What's wrong with Gabriel if you like it? You say the issue is that the world is a made-up one so I'm presuming you prefer a name that's not from the real world. If that's really the case, then I don't know what Fabian, Luuk/Luke and Theo are doing there.

And if you have no issue with real-world names, then just go with Gabriel since that's your favourite :)

Luuk is too much like a horribly misspelt Luke. I wouldn't do it, even though I like the name too and it seems like it would fit. While I loved Hunger Games, I absolutely hated the way Peeta's name was spelt. Seriously, just call the damn guy Peter! It sounds the same and wouldn't look half as ridiculous!

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  7. I.A. By the Barn

Thank you!
    I've quizzed some of my family and friends too so here's the short list:
    Peter
    Theo
    I do like Gabriel as a name, but it just doesn't sit right for him, for similar reasons to zoupskim.
    Peter and Theo are quite common so it'll be one of them as I don't want it sounding strange.
    Peter was an alternative name for me when I was born so I feel a tad uneasy naming someone it, that's my only reason for not picking that name straight away.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

When I was a teenager, I decided that this little "game" I invented was a good way of finding out what you really wanted. In my case, my dilemma was which pen I wanted to buy, the black one or the white one. So I told a friend of mine just to tell me which one to buy. I told them to say, "You're buying this pen." And for them to simply choose a pen for me. Kinda like, "No, you don't get to choose. I'm choosing for you. You're buying THIS one."

Then see what your immediate gut reaction is :D if you gut reacts badly to this "demand", then obviously you wish for your alternate option more :D

So now apply this to your two names. (not sure if it'll work but can't hurt to try eh?)

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  9. I.A. By the Barn

Thanks Mckk!
    He is now Peter. No more asterisks everywhere :)
    Thank you everyone, it was very interesting and helpful to get your opinions on this!

Mckk likes this.
  10. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Funny, me and my husband play this game too... only it's an accident. :p

Me: Which shirt should I wear, the black one or the gray one?
    Him: The black one.
    Me: The gray one it is!

:p

Mckk likes this.
  11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You think that's an accident? He prefers the gray one, but he knows you play this game on him. :p

Either that or he's black/gray colorblind... :eek: :D o_O

12. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Luke

Feather (Playing off his morph)

ÆTIUS : Which is derived from the Greek word ætos, meaning "eagle."

ÆTOS: See above.

(Just noticed you already picked one. lol)