1. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Is this too confusing?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MusingWordsmith, Dec 15, 2016.

So I'm in my rough draft right now, right in the beginning (like page 3) and one of the things I've been doing is my introductory POV character has been misremembering one of my other MC's names and also pinning him as being younger than he actually is. (For those of you curious, it's Fredrick getting mixed up about Jason- thinks his name is Jasper.)

I do plan on having a scene in there soon where Jason corrects this mistake, but I'm wondering if it might be too confusing to have this be how the character is introduced.

2. ginkgo88

ginkgo88 New Member

I think as long as the correction is done either fairly early or in a memorable way, it shouldn't be a problem. It may even make the name Jason stick more firmly to readers if the correction scene is adequately memorable in its own right.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

You're on page 3 and you already have questions you feel like you need to turn to the Internet for? Come on, give yourself a chance to write a little and see what sort of things seem to take care of themselves. If I felt like I was having trouble on page 3 of anything to the point where I felt a need to stop and seek help or advice, I would scrap the whole idea and start over.

antlad likes this.
  4. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Well it's something I want to carry over in the next draft, but I guess I am jumping the gun a little. XD I think I've scrapped and started over enough, I'd like to actually finish it this time around.

5. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Finish the story. See where it goes. Fix the details later. You need to build momentum and keep it until the end. Finishing is your goal right now. Go back and smooth things out later.

6. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

I think as long as it is made clear that Fredrick is mistaken it should be fine. It sounds an interesting way to introduce both of the characters and gives us some idea about Fredrick's personality.