Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Your opinion of Marijuana, please.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jaclyn, Nov 29, 2007.

Hi, I'm very interested in your thoughts about the drug Marijuana.

I only use Marijuana when I attend a party where drinking will be taking place. If I want to enjoy myself at a party and relax I will smoke Marijuana instead of drink alcohol. I do this because I believe smoking Marijuana is more safe for me; whenever I drink at a party I almost always begin to lose control and drink contiously, but Marijuana does not have that affect on my body so I can remain in control throughout the night.

I promote the use of Marijuana over the use of alcohol. My family has dealt with at least four occassions where alcohol has deteriorated our loved ones and even robbed them of their lives. However, I do not promote abusing Marijuana, or alcohol, or even food for that matter.

So, what are your thoughts?

2. Good_writer

Good_writer Banned

Marijuana certainly is better than alcohol.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I don't like it, and wouldn't do it myself. I'm not sure it's really any better than alcohol, but I'm not really an advocate of that, either. Personally, I don't use or approve of many drugs at all.

4. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I agree with you. There actually was a long period of time where I didn't want to have anything to do with partying, drinking, or drugs. None of these things are good for you and they will never have a positive effect on your life, but I figure I'm young, bored, and feel it would be nice to go to a party and forget about everything for an hour.

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I don't use any drugs or alcohol, excluding those prescribed, because I feel the negatives outweigh any potential temporary benefits. To me, there are many other ways of escaping the world that can be achieved. However, I'm not exactly going to bark at someone who uses them. If you're old enough to make your own decisions, you know the consequences, and you're not putting anyone else in harm's way - go ahead. At the same time, I generally don't associate myself with people that use such substances for various reasons and I refuse to involve myself romantically.

6. Sayso

Sayso New Member

I've never taken any kind of drug and I have no problem with the odd drink every now and then. I've never been drunk either as I'd rather know what's going on around me.

What you do to your own body is entirely up to you though. So if you like to have a little something to help you relax then that's up to you.

7. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

There is only one other person in this forum, so far as I know, who has said that they smoke pot. It's funny; I thought there would be a lot more people who smoked Marijuana on here -- not because we're all artists, but just because I thought Marijuana was a little more popular than it seems to be, I guess. Very interesting...

8. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

*VOMITS* Blech. Not interested. The stuff reeks like you know what. I have no problems with anyone doing it, but then again, If my partner did drugs then I wouldn't be with him. I've already had an alcaholic parter previously I don't one on drugs. I know I have family members that do drugs but other than my boyfriend, I don't care who does it, as long as they don't come onto my property and affect me or mine.

9. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I don't really condone the use of any illegal drugs, but I'd rather see someone smoking a joint than getting smashed off their face at a party.

A bit OT, but I have a friend with severe scoliosis who smokes a joint daily to help with the pain. Nothing else has worked and it relieves her of her symptoms. I personally see no problem with that, she does it to have better quality of life and I think that's fair enough.

Anyway, I have no problem with someone doing some marijuana here and there. I wouldn't do it myself, but I can't see the issue if it's not being used in excess.

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I have used marijuana before and so have most of the people I know and have been friends with over the last 11 years of my life. Everyone thinks that it is harmless and safe...it isn't. It is illegal for a reason and I personally feel that people who choose to use drugs can keep it to themselves and away from everyone else. If you want to do it do it in your own damn home cause when you go to a party others are breathing it in and yes it does get into their system the same way cigarette smoke does.

Marijuana is one of the causes of some peoples psycological problems later in life from drug abuse. Some have these severe reactions from mild usage as well though. When I was using it I didn't give a **** about anyone I knew anymore. I didn't give a **** about myself. The drug was a total escape for me and I loved it. Then I woke up one day and realised that I was heading down a road that I was not going to be able to get off of if I didn't do something soon.

I don't like the substance and don't like people using it. But if you are going to do it in the privacy of your own home and not around others who DON'T want to breathe your drugs in when they are trying to have a good time. Drugs and alcohol kill people and mess up peoples lives in major ways. It is your choice what you wish to use but I would rather do something legal than something illegal.

Think about it, you get caught it goes down on your permanent record. You really want that hanging over your head till the day you die? You really want to be paranoid that you are going to get caught or think that people are always out to get you? It happens....like I said it is your own choice but whatever you do in life has consequences and you are the one that has to live with them for the rest of your life. Choose wisely as you only get one life and can't go back and set the rocrd straight once your life ends!!!!

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

What about when that hour turns into days, weeks, months and then years? Believe me you don't want to go down that road! I have months of my past I have no recollection of what so ever. I did some pretty messed up stuff and I still suffer for that today. I lost a lot of respect from friends and a lot of trust. In the end I lost most of my friends. I have spent years trying to get back those months that I have lost and I can't. It don't happen like that. You got **** going on then talk about it. Don't run from it as running solves nothing it only makes things a million times worse. Believe me, I've been running my whole life and only now have I stopped running.
    It all begins with that one hour and then it leads to a lifetime of regret. Just you don't realise that until it is all way too late and there really is no way you can fix it all....think hard about what you are doing with your life...
    When you have **** going on damn well find someone to talk to about it, go sky diving, rock climbing, be adventurous in a safe kind of way. Don't use alcohol and drugs. It is just bloody stupid!

<sorry if my posts offend anyone but they are my thoughts and so I have shared them>

12. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I'm actually allergic to the stuff, so I don't like people smoking it around me.
    As for other people using it, if its for medicinal use, I say go for it. Otherwise you really should keep mind altering drugs out of your system.
    As for alcohol in limited amounts sure its not a problem, but if people go out and plan to get smashed or 'accidentally' become smashed on a regular basis, they really shouldn't be drinking.

13. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Okay, I was going to post a reallllly long speech about why I think mull isn't the best thing in life. But I deleted it because to be honest, I can see the risk of this topic becoming an argument. All I will say now is that Drugs suck. Get High on life.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Marijuana is not all that harmless. It has been associated with long term organ failure in several internal organs, although these are relatively recent studies.

It does impair reaction time and attention span, as well as short term memory. Long term memory can be impaired as well. It induces lethargy and can cause the user to fall asleep. All these factors make it dangerous to drive while under the influence.

The intoxicative effects of alcohol generally disappear within 24 hours, but it can take up to a month before all the intoxicative effects of marijuana are no longer measurable.

I do not promote intoxication, whether by alcohol, prescription drugs, or illegal drugs. I do believe that alcohol can have a place in moderation, but marijuana, particularly due to its persistance, is not really in the same category.

15. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Your from Canada! Which means marijuana is pretty much like a cigarette. That is why you think everyone does it, because sooo many people in Canada do. I used to but found that for the rest of the week there was a huge lack of motivation to do anything. Other than that I think it is harmless. Many people on here may be right about all the long term effects and whatnot, but I have not seen or heard of anything like that around here. For you it has to be your own judgement call. I would say no harm done with smoking pot, but whose to say I am right?

cheers
    WW

16. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I really don't think Marijuana is that bad. I've done some research on it and from talking with a number of people where I live I have noticed that there are truly a lot of misconceptions about Marijuana, the effects are short-term... I believe it's how you use Marijuana and your attitude toward using Marijuana that messes you up. If you become addicted to Marijuana than your really weren't so well in the first place, you know? My uncle, who is a recovering alcoholic, smoked Marijuana for years and said this to me: "I never gained anything by smoking pot, but I didn't lose anything either, so it was just a waste of time."

17. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Where did you find the study which concluded that Marijuana can cause organ failure?

18. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I totally know I shouldn't be drinking, but I don't get accidently smashed on a regular basis. I'm thinking of switching over to pot for parties because I feel I probably could handle it more.

19. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I've only smoked Marijuana four or five times in my entire life and I've only drank four or five times in my entire life. When I'm upset, instead of run to the nearest fix, I run to my guitar and I know how important it is to establish other ways of medicating yourself before you use drugs recreationally; I use music.

I know how Marijuana can screw up your life if you depend on it. I do not depend on Marijuana and I mentioned before that I don't condone abusing Marijuana. The only reason why I want to get high or drunk at a party is to have fun because I'm young and I don't do it that often in the first place. But what has brought me closer to wanting to smoke pot at a party and not drink is that fact that three people in my family abused Marijuana and alcohol, and the one substance that completely ruined their life was alcohol.

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'll admit, i've had some before. And i'll never do it again!
    Other people though, I can see why they do it if they have arthitus.
    And people looking for a fix, I don't bother myself with.
    But I personaly don't like the stuff.

21. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Drugs are like anything else in life. In small amounts there is nothing harmful in them. It when you over do it that it becomes a problem. Logically an adictive drug certainly makes this a difficult prospect, but human will is one of the most powerful forces in existence. The body is nothing more than a machine. It will do whatever the mind orders it to.

I personally don't do any drugs, and I avoid using perscription drugs and even headache medicine when I can afford to do so (Headaches are nothing I can suck it up. Tylenol is for quiters!). I prefer to keep anything like that out of my body. I'm pretty sure Marijuana kills brain cells too and I like my brain the way it is, in one piece.

22. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

I'm going to have to agree with Torana completely on this one. I don't give a damn if it's every once in a while or not. Doing it is reckless. People don't think clearly when they're high. You could hurt someone or yourself. Not to mention the fact that the smoke itself does plenty of damage to your lungs and the lungs of people around you. I'm sorry. I just can't understand anyone thinking it's okay. It's not okay.

You say you won't get addicted. Yeah... Sure... But what happens when you get a really good high and you start craving that feeling? One more time won't hurt, right? And another, and another, and another, and another... I get that. I've been there. And I'm not saying you WILL get addicted. I'm saying that no matter where or when you do it, there is ALWAYS going to be the possibility. Drugs are never a good idea. They can grab you by the soul, and believe me, they don't let go easily.

23. Frost

Frost Active Member

Wrong. Partying safely? You make new friends, you meet new people, you have fun! Drinking, well a quiet red with a some steak or spaghetti or something enhances the experience tenfold! And drugs, well, where would the world be without prescription medicine and drugs? Even marijuana is used in medicine. Morphine is just a medical version of heroin. Drugs can be good for you, and it's close-minded to think otherwise.

24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A brief lecture on critical thinking

This is an example of the logical fallacy called equivocation. When Jaclyn referred to "partying, drinking, or drugs", her meaning was clear. She was referring to a pattern of careless intoxication and wild behavior.

Equivocation refers to taking a different meaning of words and arguing a point in a different context than the opposing speaker. When you argue about the benefits of socialization (partying), an alcoholic beverage with a meal (drinking), and pharmaceuticals used for medical purposes (drugs), you are employing equivocation to weaken the original argument.

Note that a logical fallacy does not automatically mean that your assertion is wrong, but it does mean you are arguing something not directly related to the original point, so in fact it does not mean the original assertion was wrong either.

25. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Drugs are bad... Mmmmkkkaaaay???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.