1. Qistina binti Ami Azrul

Qistina binti Ami Azrul New Member

Education in the UK

Discussion in 'Research' started by Qistina binti Ami Azrul, Nov 26, 2015.

Hi guys, my book is set in the UK and it plays a lot with dates and age. So I want to know, what age does one graduate from secondary schools in the UK? And what month of the year is the graduation ceremony usually? And when does scholarship results to further your studies in college usually come out? And when do college entrance exams usually happen plus when do the results usually come out?

I tried doing my own research but then I couldn't get all the info I needed. So it'll be easier to find out here.

Also if any of you respond to this, please mention that you're from the UK so I can follow you in case I need more info thanks :)

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm from the UK.

Secondary school finishes age 16, and there is no graduation ceremony. Increasingly there are proms (ugh) but still not in every school.

College (also called sixth form) is free and there are no entrance exams. Usually you will be made an offer based on your GCSE (secondary school) results - "we'll accept you if you get your predicted grades of 10 GCSEs at grade C or above". Unconditional offers are rarer but do exist, where they take you no matter what you get. GCSEs are taken in the last year of secondary school (Year 11, ages 15/16) and the results come out in late August. There is no graduation ceremony for college but may be a prom.

University, similarly, is based on your A level (college) results and not an entrance exam. The offer will nearly always be conditional on you getting certain grades. Scholarships exist but are very rare. Most people fund it through student loans from the government which they pay back once they have a job and are earning over a certain amount. There is a graduation ceremony.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  3. Qistina binti Ami Azrul

So in the UK students can take A Levels for free? And thanks for the reply!

4. Qistina binti Ami Azrul

And are sixth forms taken at the same place as the secondary school? Meaning sixth forms and secondary school are in the same building.

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Yes. Unless they go to a private college, which most people don't, there is nothing to pay.

Sometimes. Not all secondary schools have a sixth form attached (mine didn't) and even if they do, some students will go to another place for sixth form.

6. Qistina binti Ami Azrul

Okay thanks for the help! I'll contact you more if I need any more assistance, hope that's okay with you :)

Tenderiser likes this.