1. Tom111

Tom111 New Member

Not enough plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tom111, Jul 19, 2009.

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a plot for a story I would like to write but I don't know if there is enough plot for me to make a good story.....or if the plot is any good?

This is what i have got so far:
    The continent is split in to two sections, one side is ruled by the Shadow Dominion and the other section is governed by the Empire.
    The Empire took land from the people ruled by the Shadow Dominion after fighting many wars and the people of the Shadow Dominion have a prophesy that if they sacrifice a blind boy upon an alter of one of the cities that belonged to them (their old capital) then their god will come and help them get back their land.

Charectors include:
    A wizard that has three personalities, each personality wanting a different thing (good, bad and evil)
    The war leader of the Shadow dominion
    The ruler of the Empire.

This is all I have and it seems to me that there are a lot of loose ends and there doesn't seem to be much happening.

Thanks

T.S.L

2. NinniMauton

NinniMauton Banned

Dont take my word for granted since i'm new to the trade but..

This is no plot, these are pieces of the settings you have for your world. You still need some main character or characters that will face whatever troubles they will, whatever solutions they find to them, whatever the conclusion will be by the end of the story, etc. Right now you just have some pieces of ideas you want to include in your world.

Just my five cents.

3. Tom111

Tom111 New Member

Thanks for the reply!:)

I guess I didn't make it clear on the first post. I thought the plot would be that the people of the Shadow Dominion would attack the Empire to reclame the city and sacrafice the boy, but it doesn't seem very complete.

I thank you for the help an now I realise what you are saying.

I was wondering if people could ask me questions about my ideas to help me.

ty

4. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Why don't you just begin and see what your characters have to say about your story idea? They'll give you better clues than we will, because they are genetically tied to your imagination!:)

5. write...write...keep writing...don't stop....and a plot will either appear or come to you. after that....keep writing :p

6. morningside

morningside New Member

I know from experience this works! I began writing with a rough idea of something, and after writing and writing and writing it turned into a fully functional plot where everything seemed to tie together perfectly. To this very day I'm still shocked that it did. If I can do it, so can you :)

7. DarrenW

DarrenW New Member

Sounds interesting but what you are lacking is any kind of main character - someone who, through some traumatic event (either good or bad) is forced into setting a goal (which then becomes the aim of your main plot). So, e.g. Maybe at the start of the story, the wizard had one of his personalities erased by the enemy, and the plot focuses on him regaining his evil side, so that he becomes balanced again.

8. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Maybe a veteran soldier from the Shadow Dominon, who has lost all interest in the World's going. As they travel to the old capital, this veteran soldier grows really fond of the blind boy and again regains his hope in the world. But, they have to sacrifice the boy, and this veteran warrior would do the impossible for this kid...

That's what came to my mind when I heard your setting :p

9. Sabih Omar

Sabih Omar New Member

ummm sacrificing a blind boy? That's rude :D
    Ok, so both parties are looking for the blind boy. And the mother of the blind boy has kept him hidden in the woods. As the boy grows up, he shows magical powers or marksmanship (yeah even though he's blind). One day he rescues the princess of the empire and she falls in love with him (boooo). She takes him to the emperor who imprisons the boy. The shadowy people try to kidnap him, but fails. He becomes curious and with the help of the princess comes to know that he is the real heir of the throne. The prophecy is something like ummm...if you kill the heir, you get access to the great powers of the Imperial orb placed in 'the great hall'. Man, it's getting complicated!!!

Finally after hell lot of politics, they kill the blind boy (damn). But they still can't use the orb. Why? Coz now there's a new heir. How? The princess is pregnent LOL. She flees to the woods. Now what?
    Write in block letters: YOU MAY START OVER :p