1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Midnight's Children

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GingerCoffee, Sep 2, 2013.

Midnight's Children

Wow, what a fascinating movie and then I find it's a screenplay of a Salmon Rushdie book. So complex. It weaves historical Pakistan/India conflict, class conflict, personal conflict, incredible symbolism, magic and beliefs.

I'm so impressed. I am watching the end of it so I don't know how it ends, but what a master story teller. I may just have to read "The Satanic Verses" after all.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have the book and been meaning to read it for some time. I might have to do it. I'll check out the film and get back to you. :)

Sorry if this is sparse.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I didn't even know the movie was out. I think I first heard that they're making a movie a few years ago, but I never really paid attention after that. I'll have to check it out, though I'm a little worried by all the negative reviews out there.

The book is amazing by the way. To anyone who hasn't read it, please read it.

4. GingerCoffee

If the movie has negative reviews, I suggest it was too esoteric for the average critic. I'll go see what they say compared to my reaction to the movie and get back to you.

A glance at the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes says to me people can't manage the complexity of the movie. It reminds me of all the needlessly abridged audiobooks to accommodate people who can't handle anything that is longer than an hour or two of audio or video.

5. GingerCoffee

This NYT's review makes sense, given I've not read the book. I can imagine where someone in love with the book might feel the movie was missing something while someone expecting a typical movie wouldn't get this one.

Hmmm, which book should I read first, this one or the Satanic Verses?

6. Lemex

I have a friend who read The Satanic Verses and she found it really inconsistent. Some parts were really good, others just left her cold. She also added that what happened as a result of the book was totally unjustified as it's clearly not heretical, just a personal loss of faith. I've not read it myself though, it's on my list.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I think the Satanic Verses is overhyped because of all the controversy around it (the fatwa and all that good stuff). It's good but nowhere near as good as Midnight's Children. So definitely start with Midnight's Children.

Lemex likes this.
  8. Lemex

I had always wanted to give Rushdie a try and it was a toss up between those two books. Glad to hear I've made the right choice. :)