Tags:
  1. Sam Webb

Sam Webb Member

Create Space

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Sam Webb, Apr 3, 2018.

Hello all, I was wondering where everyone was going to publish your books. Create Space is going away and I was just wondering where everyone was going to self publish there works.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Create Space is 'going away?' What do you mean?

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

They’re not. They’re discontinuing certain services, like their own book design, editing, and the like.

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

I'd like to read about that, but I couldn't find a link online. Where can I read about what they're discontinuing?

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Here’s a link to a blog post by a company that does design work:

https://1106design.com/2018/01/shuttering-createspaces-services-authors/

6. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I just e-mailed CS for the status of their paid services, and prognosis for the future. Will advise when I have the answer. Their free cover services are still available, and I am considering using them for Come, Follow Me. At issue is how long it might take CFM paperback out of circ while the new cover is being designed and proofed, though paper sales are sufficiently low on that title I wouldn't miss much.

7. jannert

Thanks, @Steerpike . Bizarre.

8. Lew

In a way I am not surprised, @Steerpike. I considered using their services for E&D but they were pricey, and seemed evasive on how much they would do on my behalf. Cover design was expensive, $400, and unclear how many iterations of the design I got for that, and it was not clear how much editing and layout I got for $200, either. I don't need to spend $200 to have someone spell check my work and lay it out. And it turns out that the layout was incredibly easy. So I think that for whatever they offered, they did not market it well. It was turn-off to me as the first-time customer, while everything else was very straightforward.

Besides the extended distribution, CS's big advantage over KDP is on-call tech support via telephone. Most of my questions could be answered with a five minute conversation, especially at the beginning when I often could not write an intelligent question. KDP on the other hand is e-mail support only, with a 12 to 24 hour response time, that often required several cycles to get the right answer. If KDP absorbs them, I would hope they absorb the tech support team.

jannert and Carly Berg like this.
  9. Lew

Official answer from CS

In response to your inquiry, CreateSpace no longer offers any paid professional services as of January 31st. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Additionally, CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) use the same team to help you publish and sell your books. They also use the same facilities and printers.

Both services will be fully integrated on KDP in the future. This will allow us to innovate even faster for customers.

I hope this information is helpful.

I will be querying them to see if they will retain their telephone support

Lew

Carly Berg likes this.
  10. Sam Webb

Sam Webb Member

Thanks, for this Lew! I was just wondering because i read something different. I am glad you helped me with my dilemma.

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Pretty much CS is going to wind up integrated with KDP ... I can't see Amazon running two companies that do the same thing long term- that's just inefficient.

In the event that it did go away (or become uneconomic etc) the other option is Ingram spark. Ingram doesn't have the same level of integration with Amazon, nor is it as easy (or free) to use. However it does offer benefits in terms of extended distribution for those going wide (ie that you can get print works onto sites other than amazon, including into libraries, and on to book shop ordering systems)

A lot of established self publishers use both CS/KDP for Amazon and Ingram for everything else.

Lulu is the other established self pub POD platform for print, but in my opinion it falls down on the distribution front.. it can be good if you want short order runs to distribute yourself.

12. Lew

The main thing I hope will remain the same on integration is
    1. the ease of use of CS for setup, layout , and upload. Using it for the first time took only about a week
    2. the ability to stay in the familiar environment of MS Word, rather than a non-standard PDF edit a la Spark
    3. telephone tech support. I only needed this a few times at the beginning, but it was enormously helpful, and saved me a lot of time, vs. 24 hour turn around on KDP tech support e-mail. They even helped me navigate KDP (though I think they weren't supposed to)

Overall, CS is already fairly well-integrated with KDP for the apublisher's POV. At the end of the paperback publiscation, you are offered a Kindle pub option. You can either let them do this automatically, or download their Kindle-ready files and upload them yourself from the KDP bookshelf. My browser always hung on the automatic option. I use Mozilla, and I did not think to use another browser. I did it manually which is a very simple process. I always edit their Kindle file, as it includes all the stuff at the front end of the paperback, copyright page, acknowledgements etc. I want the reader to go straaight to text, so delete those pages, move the other stuff to the back. BTW, if you have a hyperlinked table of contents in the paperback file, consider keeping it for the Kindle. It will be hyperlinked in Kindle as well.

I am hoping this may be nothing more than a name and logo change when it happens

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm doing all my formatting either in vellum or via d2D anyway and both those output a print ready pdf (you can also do it from word or scriv) so staying in word never bothered me

agree about 1 &3 though

14. Lew

I had further info from CS, there is a merger in the future, but no timeline has been set.