1. Mindsword

Mindsword New Member

Creating 2nd fictional universe

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Mindsword, Nov 17, 2017.

I've decided to create the second fictional universe I've been involved with, the first one as a solo project, from scratch. Last time we started out with 8 people, but the project kind of faded away, so why not.

The thing is, when we cooperated things went kind of smoothly, and it basically created itself with a few inputs here and there (we ended up with houndreds of pages on just the universe itself) and now that it's just me, I've come to a complete blank. I've researched a few methods of world building but it didn't really help either. I'm not sure how to begin a mammoth of a task like this with only myself as chief director and workforce.

I would like some tips or maybe some questions to help map out how the setting would work.

I've decided on a few main points at least:
    Genre(s): Mostly Dark Sci-fi/Post-Cyberpunk, with elements of fantasy, satire/comedy & supernatural horror.
    It will be a big system/universe predominantly focused on an earth like solar system with around 3 or 4 earth/moon like inhabited planets and it's immediate surroundings, including intergalactic elements. Imagine something Douglas Adams, Lovecraft, Star Trek, Shadowrun and some mystery & war fiction inspired with fantasy elements like magic realism and similar.
    I have a few ideas for characters from the last project but nothing too specific yet, sadly.

What should I keep in mind venturing down this long road on my own for the first time? Any suggestions, clues or inspirations would be helpful.

Thank you, and I'm looking forward to staying around this message board. Best regards, Mindsword.

Edit: Any tips on good online resources would be greatly beneficial!

2. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

Well, to start off with, what is it you try to accomplish? Do you want to write a novel, if so, I’d suggest focusing on the story and add the props later. The reason for this is because having hundreds of pages in world building might be useful but not very time efficient. When you work alone you will have to focus on what you eventually want to get done else it will become a project you’ll never finish.