1. thisisyourend

thisisyourend New Member

Creating a parallel world.

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by thisisyourend, Nov 26, 2017.

I was told I need to explain better my problems. I posted on here yesterday the people who answered were confused so I will try to explain this as clearly as I can.
    • We have two parallel worlds. A woman named Josie is on one and her daughter is on another
    •Before they were together but Josie parallel self Rose took the child to raise her
    •After 18 years the child is now an adult and she meets a man named Eli who tells her the truth but not the whole truth.
    •They are chased down by Rose men (I guess she is considered rich). They make it to a building where Eli has necklaces that have inter-dimensional stones in them so they can travel the multi verse.

I need an idea of a parallel world that they go to. I looked at some historical events but don't like them with what I wanna try to do. I'm thinking of having like a commentary on the setting they visit. A government based on a philosophy. Thats probably my only two problems.

2. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

It really depends on what you want the world to be like for the purposes of the story. Is it like our world with a few subtle differences, or is it wildly different? Once you know the end that you want, you can come up with a point of divergence that could semi-plausibly produce that end result--if you want the world to be a ravaged wasteland, then maybe the Cuban Missile Crisis went nuclear in this world, for example. If you've ever looked at a historical event or person and wondered "Huh, what would have happened if....", you can work from there. Look through history and you'll see a lot of moments where things could and probably should have turned out differently--the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, for example, was spectacularly unlikely.

I hope that helps answer your question. I admit, I'm not sure what you mean by "commentary" or "based on a philosophy". If you expand on that a bit, you might get more specific answers.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

You might try looking at that old TV show Sliders for ideas and examples.