1. itiswritten

itiswritten New Member

What it is homiez.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by itiswritten, Sep 20, 2008.

So far I've only written a couple of 20-ish page stints. For valid reason too. One was emo, and the other was intensely corny. (Isn't corny just the corniest wor? If it had a face I'd punch it)

Anyways. I don't want to get too much into inspirations and aspirations in order to explain where I stand. All I want to explain is that I have, groundwork lets say- for a character. No name, just groundwork. I need help thinking a few things through, and a few opinions on questions that I"m afraid if I asked people in real life they'd call me things.

Is there a perfect person? (If you're going to say, an imperfection can make you perfect...explan!!)

I have a character who rationalizes, tries his logic on EVERYTHING. Lets be constructive all the time. So naturally he is immensely political.

I read online that you should write "My main character wants ____." But the truth is, when I think abotu that, I get more intrigued by the question of why do people want different things? Why does someone want something trivial, while another wants the world?

Mr. Super conscious political hates emotional reasoning. Its his irony that his thoughts, his super-logic has a word-in an emotion- its called compassion. He fears emotional reasoning because it is subsersive to his cause, what ever it may be. it is not just not contructive, it can be destructive. Especially the simple ones. ( I know the things I'm saying can be good philosophy debates but bare (bear?) with me)

He obviously assesses himself before saying, "I have no emotions" and he isn't trying to depress himself, no disorders and mood swings. He isn't sad. Just obsessed with his thoughts on politics.

More than anything though, this leaves him pretty bland. Mr. Save the World cannot party when there are wars going on.

So help me people. How the hell do I develop this guy? I liken him to me in some ways. It is good to have high intrapersonal intelligence, and I want my main character to show his. Plus he needs a cool name.

EDIT: Something to add. To me, writing a book about someone concerned with the same things as my character isn't enough. It seems like he'd need to achieve results. For example, I compare Holden Caulfield to the Little Prince. Caulfield is an ass sometimes, but when he is with his sister, he has his compassion. But he doesn't do anything. He spends a night in New York. The Little prince, was like an active learners journey on the other hand, the plot in itself was active I guess. I don't know...I don't think I've explained this well enough.

What I am saying is that yeah I could right about a cheerleader and her struggle for popularity, I understand the psyche. I could write about a rogue Indian elephant who went crazy after his human companion and caretaker was killed in an ivory export conspiracy. I could write about childhood friends who grew apart. But for some reason. Whether I am right or wrong. The word I wish to say is trivial, trivial, trivial, trivial. These things don't matter, because the world is in danger! It needs saving. Its weird. Blah. Help me.

2. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Im just going to try to answer what i can here, even though i may not make sense sometimes:p

Is there a perfect person? (If you're going to say, an imperfection can make you perfect...explan!!)

Okay if you have a perfect person who does everything by the book and says all the right things all the time, he becomes predictable and bland, readers will have a hard time trying to identify with his character. Give him a flaw such as extreme jealousy and im sure you'll catch alot of fish in that net. These imperfections make us unpredictable and therefore more interesting. If you knew the score to every football game from here to infinity then it'd be pretty pointless to watch anymore games.

I have a character who rationalizes, tries his logic on EVERYTHING. Lets be constructive all the time. So naturally he is immensely political.

That's okay:)

I read online that you should write "My main character wants ____." But the truth is, when I think abotu that, I get more intrigued by the question of why do people want different things? Why does someone want something trivial, while another wants the world?

The reason why some people want more things than others can be found in their social constructs, their back grounds. If you gave an average American teenager $1000 he would probably spend it in a totally different way than if you gave it to an average African teenager. Some people just aren't content with what they have and continue to want more and more while others are content with the small things, this has t do with their upbringing, beliefs and personal interests.

Mr. Super conscious political hates emotional reasoning. Its his irony that his thoughts, his super-logic has a word-in an emotion- its called compassion. He fears emotional reasoning because it is subsersive to his cause, what ever it may be. it is not just not contructive, it can be destructive. Especially the simple ones. ( I know the things I'm saying can be good philosophy debates but bare(bear?)with me)

I dont know what you're trying to say here:confused:^^ and here>>>>>>>

>>>>He obviously assesses himself before saying, "I have no emotions" and he isn't trying to depress himself, no disorders and mood swings. He isn't sad. Just obsessed with his thoughts on politics.
    More than anything though, this leaves him pretty bland. Mr. Save the World cannot party when there are wars going on.

So help me people. How the hell do I develop this guy? I liken him to me in some ways. It is good to have high intrapersonal intelligence, and I want my main character to show his. Plus he needs a cool name.

I think the development of a character should be based on how your character would react in specific situations since that is what will drive the story forward. I suggest you get know everything there is to know about him, his like, dislikes, petpeeves, favorite meals all that stuff that may seem trivial may infact come in handy in fleshing out your protagonist. As for the name I'm sure you will come up with one sooner or later:D

3. itiswritten

itiswritten New Member

ok. So the things that seem trivial, might be neccessary. Mr. Save the World has to be more down to Earth I guess. But about flaws. I don't know if Jesus had a flaw, or Ghandi, and they are both pretty interesting aren't they? A person like me for example, who is a great inspiratiopn for this character. I honestly don't get jealous. I am conscious of situations where it may arise, so I foresee it.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

This seems like a question of character flaws. Everyone has flaws. Even the best people in history had flaws. To see someone as perfect implies ignorance on the observer's part.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

People talk about flaws, but it's more a matter of in dividual traits. Flaws is an easier place to start, because they suggest potential conflicts (internal and external), and therefore plots (which are the growth, resolution, and outcome of conflicts).

The idea behind "What does my character want?" is to establish both his pverall priorities and his immediate goal (male gender used for convenience only). I'm not really big on using a checklist for character design, even a question as broad as this one. Let the story determine what you need to establish a priori. After all, that is the only reason the character exists at all.

6. itiswritten

itiswritten New Member

Great answers. I guess I'm going about this the wrong way then?
    By the way I thought about it, and I guess it isn't so much that flaws don't exist in certain people from history. It might be that they aren't important.
    I'm going to see what I can do. Maybe change my strategy with trying not just to create my main character, but the story. As Cogito said, the storyshould determine what kind of character I need, not the other way around. Thanks.

7. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Sounds to me like you have already developed this guy, you have put out an entire profile on him and what he is like. I would say go with this if this is what you want to write. I have no suggestions for change.

You have already answered your other questions in the body of the post, so there is not anything we can offer you.

What does your Mr.Save the World Want? Well you seem to have that pegged down already. So that is a good start.

The other question. Is there a perfect character? Does it matter if there is? You have this Mr. Save the World already made up.

8. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

Logical Reasoning Only:

That's an example of emotional reasoning.

A truly logical person would see that humans are a "whole" and would think holistically. Disliking emotion is an irrational emotional reaction and is neurotic.

Neurotic, as I'm using it, means to act in opposition to the way you really are. A hypochondriac is healthy, but acts and wants to to sick and would likely not enjoy being sick if they really were. A person who has emotions, feels them, etc and pretends he doesn't have them is neurotic.

Because of this he will always experience anxiety worrying that he will show his true face, that the damn will break, and so forth. Since this person is in denial about the basic nature of humans his "logic" will defeat him routinely in relationships and cooperative ventures.

That's because he's attempting to leave out a key component everything human.

That stuff might lead the story to some places.

What do you think?

9. itiswritten

itiswritten New Member

I think that is a great way to look at it. That is what I mentioned earlier- about compassion. But see, this did pay off. We killed two birds with one stone. Not only do I have a good way to propel the story. I now have a flaw. A good one at that, a very different one. At the same time though, a very difficult flaw to portray. Thanks again.

10. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

Great!

Note To All Members:

Is this a positive site, or what!

I think it is. I'm used to posting about politics, philosophy, and culture, not my creative pursuits. So, it's wonderful to be around other creative people who are interested it sharing positive ideas.