Creating Character Names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by challas, May 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

I dunno, Lupos is kinda catchy, if said in a Spanish and/or Mexican accent. As for common names, you will ALWAYS find previous uses of the name. So long as a fantasy name flows off of the tongue, instead of what looks like a can of alphabet soup, then it's a completely acceptable name. Also, I find that less commonly used names make great characters, with more exotic, fantasy-type names for supporting characters.
    For example, I cannot remember the last time I've seen Tanner as a first name (The last name on Full House, but that's a bit dated), and so far he's doing quite nicely as a refuge. One of his companions (Not human, all I'm giving away) is named Shyrad (to be read with either a long or short "i" sound, I don't care), and this name had rolled around in my mind over and over again, simply because it's got a catchy ring to it, and it fits well with the character.

2. vicizmax

vicizmax New Member

I usually like to make up my own names for my characters. However, sometimes I go through a name directory online and find uncommon names which I like the sound of. What I've also tried in the past is ask strangers on the street what their first names are. However, this limits you to a certain cultural name (for example, me living in Denmark, I have a big chance finding someone with a very Danish name rather than say a Japanese name). You also have to not freak strangers out and seem like a stalker or something :D

3. Kaynic

Kaynic Member

I usually go by nationality, since many of my characters are foreign, and I try to find those names that seem to fit. For example, my Finnish character, a female lieutenant, is named Kielo Vanhala--Vanhala is a common surname in Finland--and a character of Albanian-Croatian ancestry is named Luka Aliti. First name is Croatian, last name is Albanian. Mostly though, I simply stumble across names that just fit with the character, regardless of nationality, though I will try to find the variant of that name within the nationality. Online naming lists are a great help, and I turn to them more often than not.

4. Precipice

Precipice New Member

In terms of names, I tend to try and give the main protagonist in my story one unusual name and one relatively common name, e.g. Travis baker. Now, to me Travis is a fairly uncommon name, but it's still accessible. You don't want to go writing names people won't be able to understand or pronounce.

Also, if you're really stuck for second names- try using names of places or towns near you, but make sure they're not too well known or hollywood-esque. You don't want a character called Adam Miami, because it sounds fake.

5. [ESCAPE]

[ESCAPE] New Member

Try flipping to a random page in the yellowpages.

6. Ursus_Buckler

Ursus_Buckler New Member

It depends on the story, really. My first two books, for example, are based in modern times, so I just named them after people or characters that were meaningful to me (the MC is named Jack after Jack Skellington of Nightmare Before Christmas, a favourite childhood movie, and Jack Sparrow, one of my favourite characters of all time, whereas one of the support characters is named Will after my uncle). However in my third book, which is about Werewolves, I gave them names associated with wolves, hunters and forests- for example, the MC is named Carn (carnivore), the love interest is Artemis (Greek God of hunting), etc.

7. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

In my story some of the mc's are in India. Now in India naming a child is a big event, a lot of thought goes into this process astrologers are consulted, a party is thrown and a cerimoney is held to mark the big day. Babies there do not get named right way, it can take days or even weeks before a name is decided. By then the parents have a better idea of the childs "personality" and coupled with this and the astro charts they selcet a name from a pool of names offered by the members of the family.

So for my book I had to be careful when I chose names in keeping with the regions customs. Now here in America, people pick names at random naming kids silly things like 'peaches' and 'mercedes'

So when chosing names for your charaters you have to think about where they live their cultural background and if you have any special thoughts on names.

For me the name is everything, a good strong name is prefered to a lesser more subbordinate one.

My kids all have strong names.
    My mother had a daughter when I was 16, she wanted a name that was "unique" but at the same time easy for people to say.
    My little brother got to give her her first name which is Kristina and mom decided to rob the name I had planed on giving my first daughter "Jade"
    I belive that names like upbringing hold some measure of control over what that person will grow to become. My sister is the typical girly girl, but when needed is a source of great strenght as well. Just as her name suggests.

Time periods also play a huge role in authentication.
    As a reader I can not buy a guy named Blair or Robbin if the story is set in modern times.
    But then again I'm not a fan of "Peaches" either...

8. The Eternal Brats

The Eternal Brats New Member

I always go with what feels natural. But also remember its ur world so any name will do. But if ur stumped, use characterists of the character...

9. Fei

Fei New Member

From life: if I hear a name I like, I write it down on the back of my hand, then write it down when I get home and save it for later.

I sometimes look up baby names, and a lot of the names come from other writers. If there's a name I like somebody else has already created, I'll write it down then start scrambling up the letters until I come up with something I like.

10. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

I often just try to picture the person inside my head and let my heart choose a name. I don't usually choose names with meanings that suit the characters because I feel that way has become a cliché. If it takes place in a fictional universe, I will only choose names that fit well into said culture. Sometimes I invent names, especially last names for fictional universes. I also invent first names and I often go by sounds I like.
    For realistic settings in a non-fictional world, I tend to choose some names more than other names. I have used the name Eric too many times.

11. KinkyCousin

KinkyCousin New Member

I try to pick realistic names that suit the character based upon their personality and nationality. I don't go for overly unique names as it feels pretentious to me seeing as my writing is usually set in the real world (well as real as it can be when you write horror!). If I give a character a weird name it's most likely intended to seem weird and out of place.

12. Nom_de_Schlock

Nom_de_Schlock New Member

I allow my everyday life be a factor when naming characters. I use what's fresh in my mind at the time. I mix and match the names of authors, obscure actors, professors I had, friends and friends of friends, and on and on. There a lot of character names in the clutter of a day haha

13. AlexaRobyns

AlexaRobyns New Member

Well, personally, I think up a lot of weirder names. Mainly, because I write more fanasty type novels. I found that I figure out their ethencity, find popular names for that region and maybe add or drop a letter or two, or add a syllable.