1. Clementine_Danger

Clementine_Danger Active Member

Creating plot from characters/setting

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Clementine_Danger, Sep 29, 2017.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people here have this problem I have, and what workarounds and tips they may have.

I know a lot of people start with an idea for a story and go from there. Apparently I'm not one of those people. I usually start imagining a new manuscript with an idea for either a setting or a character I find interesting for some reason. Usually both. Over the course of a few days this usually turns into little ideas about this character I like interacting with a setting I like, until I end up with a premise and a theme. I'm usually writing things down by this point, seeing if a story emerges. But there seems to be a gap between "premise" and "plot" that I can't quite bridge.

I'm not necessarily talking about story structure. I'm down with the hero's journey and saving the cat and writing from the middle and what have you. It's just that most craft books meant to help you flesh out your plot seem to assume that you're starting from a story idea, not a character/setting idea. It's not that hard to wrangle the setting and characters into a plot template, but it doesn't feel like a very organic way to grow a story.

Anyone else write their stories character-first? How do you go from idea to plot?

jannert and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Assuming you've developed your character fully, they have some type of desire right? Some type of goal they want to accomplish. That 'Goal' is your story. 'Plot' is just outside forces that try to prevent your character from reaching their goal.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't separate plot and character. Plot is the story and the story always belongs to someone. Ask yourself why this character you've created is in this setting and the story (plot) should come. I really try to think of all the components -- character, setting, plot -- as one. When people start to think of them separately, I think that's when can they get stuck. And if you are just writing about character and setting is nothing happening? Make something happen. Make something happen right away, and then you can see if this character has what it takes to get through it. And then, my friend, you should be on your way to creating a plot.

Shenanigator and Simpson17866 like this.
  4. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I've written quite a few concepts character-first lately. I conceived of the plot of a musical by creating a set of characters to fulfill certain roles.

5. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Plot is the conflict/event that makes up the story. Let's say the check out girl at Starbucks,Charlotte, has a cat. The cat is stolen by the evil cat circus. I have my character and conflict. Its kind of silly, so, I may come up with a new plot. Charlotte overhears a customer agreeing to commit a murder. I'm not much for writing a crime thriller, but, I love Charlotte. Charlotte thinks this guy is really cute, then discovers he's left an engagement ring on the counter. I have three story ideas, Charlotte rescues her cat from the cat circus, stops a murder and may or may not help a man propose. A wonderful thing is that Charlotte may be the same character as the start of each conflict, but, by the resolution, will be three variations of that character.
    Godspeed!

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I have always started with characters and setting, and allowed the plot to develop. If you work at it hard enough, and actually start writing (which you have done, @Clementine_Danger ) the plot will evolve—as life does.

Most of the things that happen to us as people don't start from 'plot.' They start with us. Nothing is more 'organic' than that.

We interact with others, depend on others, dispute with others. Our fortunes ebb and flow; sometimes we control events, sometimes we don't. Our lives don't start with a plot. They start with us, as people, in a setting. I see no reason why stories can't begin the same general way. When you look back on your life, some events will take on more significance than others. In a fictional story, you pick these kinds of significant bits to write about. However, they all start with people and a setting, don't they? Not a 'plot.'

Plot usually emerges when you give your characters a problem. A big one. Or throw them into a new situation. Or take something away from them that they value more than anything else. Or force them to leave a place of comfort and move into the unknown. How does this problem or new situation impact on the characters? And what happens as a result?

You already know your characters, in much more depth than writers who begin with 'plot.' (Or, rather, writers who begin with an idea for a story containing mostly what happens and what happens next, and design their characters so these things will take place.) As a writer who starts with characters instead, you should be able to come up with a problem that will have particular significance to your characters.

If the problem is difficult—even impossible—to solve, you'll be dealing with how the characters come to terms with this problem. An example of this kind of problem is when a character desperately loves another character who simply doesn't love them back—and won't ever love them back. Or a character whose dearest wish is to finally win approval from a disapproving parent, but the parent is now dead. Your character will never get what he or she truly wants.

If the problem IS something that effort and luck can potentially solve, then you'll find ways to get there as your novel unfolds. For example, a character suffers an extremely difficult childhood, and its impact still haunts him, even though he is now a successful adult. Elements from his past may return—in person—and threaten to wreck his present, settled life. With effort and luck, he can prevent this from happening, although there is likely to be fallout. Don't make it too easy for your characters, even if they 'win.'

The ending might not be cut and dried either, but left somewhat open—again, like real life.

Yes, you will probably write some scenes you'll want to eliminate later, or go in directions you might want to change as you get further into your story. But you will create the kinds of characters that people will believe in and also remember. They won't just be pawns to your plot.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Stormburn and Simpson17866 like this.
  7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Mine never originate with the story. I honestly wouldn't have a clue how to do that; it's just not the way my brain works.

85% of the time, for me, it comes from the main character.

Occasionally, it comes from the setting, or from a question I want to explore about a person, such as (with my current WIP) "What was it like for people who defected from the USSR?"

Sometimes, when I'm really lucky, the characters and the setting come from a dream. (Also my current WIP. I literally dreamed the first scene.)

Then, for whichever of the above happens, I follow the life of the people and the story comes from that.

My working method probably comes from having had a journalism background. I was blessed with old-school journalism professors who hammered us with "Everyone has a story, it's up to the reporter to pull it out."

ETA: So I think I sort of approach it as interviewing the characters and pulling the story out from that.

jannert likes this.