Tags:
  1. Milady

Milady Active Member

Where's the opposition?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Milady, May 19, 2008.

So, here's what I've got on a plot:

Willis would say that he's a failure at life. But then again, he isn't technically alive. An ex-guardian angel, he was kicked out of heaven when the four-year-old girl he was supposed to protect was a victim of a hit-and-run due to his negligence. Nowadays, stripped of his supernatural abilities and attempting to coexist with humans, he's beginning to track down other not-so-perfect angels who live on earth. Also, he's beginning to see the ghost of the girl he'd failed to protect. In a Herculean effort to turn his life--er, existance--back around, he wants to avenge the girl's death, soothe her spirit, and perhaps gain amnesty for himself and his fallen friends.

The problem? No opposition. The only antagonist so far would be the hit-and-run driver. But he turns out to be a decent guy who'd just made a mistake. I was considering elaborating on the supposedly perfect nature of Heaven's angels... but other than that, there's very little conflict involved.

So... my two questions...

Does my idea bore you? :3 and,
    Where is there some room for conflict?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What about his own failings? Surely there is conflict there. He feels guilty about his failure, and has to deal with that- self-hate, depression, etc.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is a good point made by Banzai.

I have another.

What about God?

Very uncomfortable idea, right? But think about how often people of faith find that when thier faith is trully challenged by a tragedy or misfortune, they look to God not just for an answer, but to answer, to account for what has happend.

I think this would be a very powerful underlying theme.

Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

4. Milady

Milady Active Member

Wow, thanks, guys. Actually, I'd hoped to work in his feelings about his failure--the girl's ghost being a constant reminder. But what about his relationship with the guys upstairs? Or The Guy... awesome!

Any other ideas, guys?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's been much done before, but new twists can always resurrect an old standard... the conflict in most of the oldies [and some that aren't all that old, like 'michael'] is the angel being seduced by 'real' life and all it has to offer... that can bring in a whole shi'p'load of conflict, both inner and outer... in today's world, that can include being hooked on video games, the internet's lure, et al. ...

i'd say to make it as 'now' as you can, for maximum audience appeal...

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

And if you want some action- well, these other 'not-so-perfect' angels...maybe they're really not-so-perfect? Maybe they're some seriously rotten apples, and Willis often comes into conflict with their not-so-perfect going-ons. Angel gang wars!

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

They're celestialy delicious! :D

*sing that to the last part of the Frosted Lucky Charms song*

8. Al B

Al B New Member

Actually, if he was kicked out of heaven, or stripped of his wings, then the opposition is those who would prevent him from getting back in, so in effect, God, and his situation, is his opposition, which means that the conflict is one based on how his character development will proceed to lead to 'victory', or even failure, if you want to write it with a bit of a bummer ending.

And by the way, that's not the plot, it's the story, the difference between the two is what happens, and how it happens. Boy meets girl is a story, Romeo and Juliet is a plot.

Al

9. Milady

Milady Active Member

True. But I find myself constantly slipping into the general use of the word "plot"...

10. Xyphyx

Xyphyx New Member

So, in essence, the angel wants to repair his mistake and earn entry back into heaven right? What if his opposition is really only himself? And he learns that the girls death was necessary for him to accomplish certain things? I'm being completely vague - but, what if God sent the angel away with the preconception of allowing him back in once he became who he was supposed to be. A sort of forced Rumspringa.

11. Milady

Milady Active Member

Haha! Brilliant! Xyphyx, you just gave me the best idea. Thanks!