Tags:
  1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Dead Bodies ...

Discussion in 'Research' started by cutecat22, May 6, 2018.

Hiya - I really can't look at another dead body right now, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for - or at least, a type of murder that will produce a specific set of results. Or it could be that I just don't know how to phrase it properly for Google to understand ...

I need to kill off one of my characters. I need to do it quickly, quietly, and with a lot of blood (I'm thinking stabbing or throat slitting) but I need two things to happen:-
    1. the victim's eyes are still open when she's discovered less than six hours after death.
    2. her right pupil needs to be dilated, but her left is either normal, or quite small.

that's it!

Any ideas?

thanks x

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Death often occurs with eyes open, especially quick ones. War records and journals (particularly from world war 1) speak of "the eyes of the dead". Referring to the dead people and their open eyes. A lot of people note in their diaries that along with the dying sounds of horses, it was one of the worst things about trench warfare and unsettled many people.

In terms of dilated pupils, I am not sure. Perhaps injecting some kind of muscle drug in the iris just after death? I am just spit balling here and can't help you much I am afraid

cutecat22 likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The only reason for the pupils to differ is if one was previously damaged. A 'blown' or a permanently damaged iris, renders the pupil unable to constrict.

This sounds right to me: See changes in the eye after death. The page is copy protected so I can't quote it. They dilate then constrict after death. The citation explains why.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If the pupils need to be dilated I would think the best thing would be a head injury. Being clubbed in the temple could possibly damage the iris/nerves and would quite likely sever some of the scalps vasculature to the point that someone could easily bleed out if they were unconscious and left untreated.

Iain Aschendale and cutecat22 like this.
  5. cutecat22

Thank you - even the smallest amount is sometimes enough to get ideas flowing - thanks for your help x

6. cutecat22

That is a fantastic link, I've saved it and will look through that with much interest as I've just gone straight to the eye bit (first time I've tackled a murder story in such detail) Thanks for that, it's a big help x

7. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

That's unfortunate. Are you stabbing deep enough?

8. cutecat22

:-D :supergrin::supergrin:

My author brain arguing with my real life brain about a certain thing that I want to happen versus whether or not it can happen.

I know I have creative license as it's fiction, but I still want it to be ... believable ... so it's either this or kill someone ... (obviously, I'm not going to kill anyone - disclaimer just in case!)