Criticism for my book cover?

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by Sylvia G., Nov 3, 2013.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in this case, as it's non-fiction about a real dog, i'd strongly advise using a photo, not an 'artist's rendering'...

2. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

I agree. It's the first, but very important step to having someone open your book, or any other product for that matter. I walk through a bookstore looking at covers, bypassing completely, those that don't ft my visual view of things.

3. aClem

aClem Active Member

Sylvia,

I have a few suggestions. First, I think you need a clearer, better picture of Misty. Second, I would take it in front of a 'blue screen' (or green screen, as it's called) which is a solid color that can be replaced by virtually anything in the background. If you wanted to put a mean-streets scene behind her, it can be done rather easily. The fonts are another issue which can be quite easily overcome. I guess you can't take another picture of Misty now, but the one you have can be sharpened a little. If you want to send it to me via email, I can play around with your cover. All free. If you like what I do, you can pay me a little something only if you feel like it. Good luck!

4. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Another thing to think about. Visual metaphors are as important as written ones. Try think of way to express the contents of your book visually; something that is not a literal snap shot of its contents. An image that is concomitant to the title and the books contents. Your current cover shot falls drastically short of the 1000 words often associated with images.

5. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

I'm waaaay late to this party, but just a very quick and rough re-do to give you some ideas. I would be inclined (as I've done here) to go with one or the other subtitle, but not both. The photo needs to be leveled, and it could do with a lot of Photoshop work to remove the burned out highlights. The oblique sans-serif font screams "amateur." Lose that. Lots of free fonts available online.

[​IMG]

auntiebetty likes this.
  6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nice job, david!... love that title font...

but i'd recommend not using any shade of red on the cover... there's no good reason not to keep both title and subtitle in the same nice blue hue...

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

@David K. Thomasson I think the text could use some sort of effects (can't say what) to make it blend in, otherwise that looks decent. Fonts are the worst. :mad:

8. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

I myself have just finished designing a cover for my soon to be self published eBook.

I have just realised that the font I used in the title is copyrighted (Headliner No. 45‏) and I believe I will have to pay $47 to use it. Make sure your fonts are covered by licenses...is my advice.

GingerCoffee likes this.