1. sean robins

sean robins Member

Narrative Distance

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by sean robins, Nov 7, 2018.

Hello Everyone,

I just want to see if I get this right;

In third person POV, the narrative distance can be changed within a scene.

More specifically:

1- You can start your scene from with contemporary omniscient in order to provide setting, background story or even the character's physical description before the limited third person POV takes over.
    2- Even if most of your scene is in distant limited third person, you can choose to get closer. I usually end up in my character's mind bey the end of the scene even though the rest of it is in distant limited third person POV.

Please don't laugh at me if this is such a basic issue that everyone should know already[​IMG]

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think that moving from omniscient to limited is a great deal more controversial than moving from distant limited to close limited. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it strikes me as more of a guideline-breaker.

sean robins likes this.
  3. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

It's not advisable to change the type of POV.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree that the greater the zoom distance, the more likely this is to be jarring.

I think it can work fairly well when there's an introductory paragraph or few that zooms to limited (like the Harry Potter opening), but I'm having trouble thinking of an example of going all the way from omni to close...

sean robins likes this.
  5. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

It's creative writing guys, you can do whatever the hell you want. The question is, will anybody read it?

PumpkinToast and ToDandy like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It's kind of hard to judge till we see how it reads. Could you post the pertinent writing in the Workshop?

sean robins and Cave Troll like this.
  7. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

There are no rules in writing, only principles. Rules say do not break this ever. Principles say things usually work best this way and if you break the mold, you better know what the hell you're doing and why you are doing it.

That said, third person really has two main types omniscient and limited. Like you said, in limited you can set a scene and get away with it, but usually it is inside one characters mind. Omniscient you can go wherever you want, see whatever you want, and jump into any character's head whenever you want. There's a reason why it is considered one of the hardest POV to write in because you don't have a single character to influence voice in the writing, and if you aren't good at it then the reader can get lost and lose any sense of space.

sean robins likes this.
  8. PumpkinToast

PumpkinToast New Member

I personally like writings that change perspectives, either in chapters or over the course of the tale. If the writer does it in a way that allows the reader to change with the author then it is a great tool and can add to the art of the writing.

sean robins likes this.
  9. sean robins

sean robins Member

Would love to:) Can anyone post in workshop? This will be my first time:)

10. sean robins

sean robins Member

Hi. Just posted in the Novel Workshop. Thank you for your suggestion:)