1. architectus

architectus Banned

Formatting question

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by architectus, Apr 5, 2009.

I wasn't sure where this should go.

I have been looking at different publishers to send my work to. A lot of them prefer e-mail submissions, which I prefer. However, some of them will not accept an attachment, and so they want a space between every paragraph because e-mails do not retain the tabs.

Is there a quick way to add spaces between every paragraph, or do I have to do this manually? If I write it with spaces between each paragraph, is there a way to take them away without having to do so manually?

Some prefer double spacing and some single, but that is not a problem because I can do that in a jippy. I don't have to do it manually.

None of them have said to double space after a sentence ending punctuation, though. So I don't think I have to bother with that.

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Do a find/replace for the tab character and the return character?

3. architectus

architectus Banned

You can't search for enter to replace it. But I did find a way to do it, but you have to have typed it without the spaces between paragraphs for this to work.

You can go to edit, select all, and then control zero, not the zero on the number pad. This will add a space between all the paragraphs. Then you can undue, or save it as a seperate file.

Another way to it is to hit control zero before you start typing. Now every time you hit enter it will be a full space. Then you can select all and hit control zero again to remove all spaces between paragraphs, and hit it again to make them return.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Yay, I figured out how to reverse it. If you have a document with a space between paragraphs, this is how you remove them.

Using Kyle's idea of replace all, I figured out a way to do it.

In, find what: type ^p^p. In, replace with: type ^p. Then click replace all. Walla. You can reverse that if you wish to add spaces between paragraphs.

5. architectus

architectus Banned

New Info

I figured out how to add a double space after periods.

Go to edit/replace all.

In, find what: type (Period and hit the space bar once.). In, replace with: type (Period and hit the space bar twice. Then click replace all. Walla.

It is proper manuscript formating to have a double space after periods and colons;although, you probably shouldn't have colons in your manuscript. Actually, double space after all ending punctuation.

Also, there is an easy to way to change all your smart quotes (Slanded quotes) for straight quotes, which is what you want in a properly formatted manuscipt. Pretty much turn of all automated functions accept spell check.

Anyway, here is how you do it.

First highlight a slanted quote. Be sure you only highlight the quote " Then go to Edit/replace all.

You will only have to type something in the replace with section. But first be sure you have turned off the "Straight quotes" with "Smart quotes." To do this go to format/autoformat/options. In the autoformat tab uncheck it, and also uncheck it in the auto format as you type tab. While you're there turn off the double hyphens with em dashes.

In, find what: type ^+. In, replace with: type --. Then click replace all. Walla. You can reverse that if you wish to add spaces between paragraphs.

I will be posting a link to a video showing how to do all this.