1. 7XshadowolfX7

7XshadowolfX7 Member

What Genre is this?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by 7XshadowolfX7, Aug 24, 2016.

Technology is super advanced. But most of the world doesn't know this technology exists. People go about their every day lives with stuff like IPhone and Android and Brands like Toshiba or Sony. But there's secret technology that most of mankind dreams about having. This technology plays a large part in the story and is often used. Is this then a Sci-fi? Because the year will still be set in like 2016 or 2017.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Sounds like scifi to me.

Sack-a-Doo! and Tenderiser like this.
  3. MartinWellow

MartinWellow Member

Sci-fi + alternate reality

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Sci-fi doesn't have to be set in the future. You can have sci-fi set in the past. :)

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

That - one of the first things I wrote was a story about an alien invasion that took place in the middle of the war of the roses .. so you had your full on battle between aliens and humans but with humans at huge technological disadvantage since they were fighting with swords and long bows against an invading force who had laser pistols and space craft

In the end though this was the story's undoing as the technological gap was so large that I couldn't write a convincing human victory, and the whole project got filed (and subsequently lost as it was in word for windows 95 format )

zoupskim and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  6. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Of course, this is my favourite type of sci-fi. Retro-futurism, steampunk, clockpunk and petrolpunk are my favourites.

I love the sound of your story @big soft moose I would read the hell outta that!

Also I don't know whether technology is always the thing that defines a book, what about theme and the sequence of events? It could be anything without knowing a little more.

zoupskim likes this.
  7. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

If not, I'm kind of screwed. :)

8. Sack-a-Doo!

Cool. I love that shit.

The Adventures of Conrad Stargard
    The Technicolor Time Machine
    The High Crusade

9. Sack-a-Doo!

I've been watching Pioneers of Television and came across an interesting tidbit...

In 1965, a TV series called The Wild, Wild West went on the air and it had a lot of technology that would eventually come to be called steampunk. Of course, now I've got to track it down and watch that, too.

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  10. Joe Doaks

Joe Doaks New Member

Perhaps historical fiction. Historical material need not be about the past. As Lovecraft and many others have shown, the lines between sci-fi and history are often blurred. "The Time Machine" is classic. History or sci-fi?