1. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

Crying on TikTok Sells Books

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by J.D. Ray, Mar 24, 2021.

2. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I've definitely noticed an increase in people talking about "#booktok" in Facebook reader groups and even saw a published book where lots reviewers mentioned getting the book from booktok. Sounds like it's essentially the new book blogging, but maybe even better? I saw one author's book get such a trendy review from tiktok that they made stickers of the quote and sell it on etsy. Fun times. One of these days I need to emerge from my corner of solitude but I am literally wearing a sweater tied to my face in a locked bedroom so I don't have much hope.

Not the Territory and J.D. Ray like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Why? Are you cold? Something wrong with your face?

4. marshipan

It just felt right at the moment. It's a very ratty sweater and I'm trying to stretch out it's use. It's death as a sweater won't stop me from loving it.

5. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

From the article:
    Well said, but I think that's a surface glance.

1. Low attention span drew the early adopters, but then it created a gravity well. People go there because it has people.

2. This is social media 'creators' flexing those one-sided friendships again. You're more likely to check out a book if a friend recommends it. Tiktok just happens to be the hot platform right now for people to get their no-input-required people fix.

Madman, J.D. Ray and Xoic like this.
  6. marshipan

A lot of people don't know anyone who reads books they like. One of the most active facebook reader groups I'm in is for *extreme* kink romance stories. Obviously, a lot don't feel comfortable talking to anyone in person about that material. They trade lots of recommendations there and it can seriously effect a books popularity (in small scale self publishing at least).

J.D. Ray likes this.