1. Isabel

Isabel New Member

Getting powers back after 4000 years...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Isabel, May 4, 2016.

One of my leads is a trickster god who was long ago bound in a mortal host. While they can't age and he would always heal/revive his vessel, he can't leave either, and, limited by having an actual body, he can no longer reach the realm of the other gods. (They bound him because they received a prophecy that one day he'd destroy them, so, being genre blind morons, they went "let's make him powerless even though he never hurt us, there is no way this might piss him off".)

After 4000 years of roaming the Earth and becoming almost one with his elven host, he suddenly gets most of his powers back after a cataclysmic event. Still not at full power, but now he can finally try to get back at the bastards. He's trying to find a weapon that can actually kill gods, but he also struggles with his changed nature. He had grown very fond of his "prison" and since they can never be separated, wants him happy. Meanwhile, the elf had lived far beyond even what's normal for his species. So he's kind of a dual character - the two halves are not completely merged.

I'm a bit wondering what his goals would be beyond revenge, because he definitely doesn't want to destroy the world or anything - he had come to like it more than his old home, and he cares about people a lot. He might even fall in love, although it will almost certainly end badly.

2. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

Well, definitely revenge - I'd say that would probably be his strongest goal. What about power, though? Does he want to take over the power from the other gods? And is he actually immortal? Perhaps living in a mortal (if long-lived) host makes it so that he's not immortal. If he won't live forever, then he could be trying to become immortal, to keep his elf host "happy" (alive). Maybe killing the gods would release enough power to make him immortal.

Just some thoughts :)

3. Isabel

Isabel New Member

No, he's immortal, being in a body just took away most of his powers. Normal weapons can't kill him and he doesn't age, so he has a bit of a Jack Harkness situation going on. There still might be some special weapon that can kill him as well as the other gods.

I'm not sure what killing all the other gods would do, but it definitely wouldn't be good. It might mess up the balance big time, so even if our hero doesn't want to harm the world, his revenge could still cause a lot of trouble. Not sure whether he will manage to get his revenge - he will probably succeed killing some of his enemies and then realize what the consequences could be if he goes all the way.

4. Dearest Mothership

Dearest Mothership Member

It would fulfill the Ancient Prophecy!

Mocheo Timo likes this.
  5. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Perhaps just messing with as many people as possible, since he's a trickster?

Oh, but a word of advice when it comes to romance. You say it's not going to end well, which is a twist and good. But also remember that a 4000 year old person is probably going to have a hard time actually connecting with someone who is mortal. Even if they do, they probably won't be the "only one they've ever loved" or something like that.

6. Dearest Mothership

Dearest Mothership Member

... and yet the Mortal might develop such feelings for the Trickster God. Unrequited love can open quite a few doors.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  7. Isabel

Isabel New Member

Well, he would fall for an elf, and I think he's the one who will get burned. He probably did have a few relationships before, but those were mostly when he was still in full power and free.

While he is a trickster, he doesn't go out of his way to pull bad pranks. Only on assholes. When people are nice to him, he can be quite sweet.

Dearest Mothership likes this.
  8. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

You say he can't be separated from his host.... but can his host gain divinity? He has most of his old power back, and him going on a vengeance crusade would make sense. Then, after after killing a few of his fellow gods (and seeing the results), someone (himself, one of the gods, his love interest) comes up with a plan to give him back his godhood (actually, the love interest might be a good idea - she realizes that he's going to destroy the world if he doesn't go back to the heavens, so she gives him up in favor of saving her family/tribe/the other people she loves). He's got two personalities? So what - he's a trickster god. It's perfect for him.

9. Gareth MH

Gareth MH Member

If he's a trickster god who's out for revenge his goals would be; 1: Revenge. 2: Tricks. 3: Combining the two.

I think that its not enough that he seeks revenge he has to seek in a way thats most humiliating for the people who bound him. So I think that he would want to sow chaos far and wide. And in the chaos create the circumstances for the gods to kill each other. That would be the ultimate Trickster god revenge.

Hmm, but then the question is once the gods are dead who would he have to play tricks on? Couldn't be satisfying to play tricks on mortals after defeating gods. So maybe he keeps some of the gods around so that he can continue to torment them for eternity?

10. Gareth MH

Gareth MH Member

I didn't read where you said that he can be quite sweet. Maybe my suggestion of destroying everything just to get at the gods that fucked him over would be going a little far.

11. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Nice. Very nice. :D

12. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

As I see, it would be an insatiable search for power. He has already endured for 4,000 years a humbler potential. Now that he is re-gaining his powers back, he will thirst to become what he used to be more than anything - even if he wants to be good to the world.
    It is like if you take a drug addict who hasn't smoked or taken anything that might remind him of his addiction for two years. After giving him a bit of the drug, next thing you know his addiction will burst within him like crazy.
    Except that in this case, there's no moral impediment that might make the god stop on his tracks.
    The thirst for his old power would burst within him like crazy, and he would have all the rights to access those powers - he was wronged!

I'd say what follows is that the god changes from his old character and creates more and more conflict with his elfen body.
    He tricks and does everything he can to try to reach the other gods and regain his power once more.

13. Isabel

Isabel New Member

Actually fun you mention addiction, because I have a character, an ex-Paladin, who battles addiction, although he's human. They might make nice foils, I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Yeah, he'd probably get a bit Drunk On The Dark Side from all the sudden power. Meanwhile his elf is very worried for him.

At some point he'll get a wake-up call but I'm not sure it will come in time.