1. Ankoku Teion

Ankoku Teion Active Member

What do you think of Chaingang style stories

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Ankoku Teion, Jan 26, 2015.

for those who don't know, this is where each chapter is written by a different person and ends on a cliff hanger, each contributor can altar the genre(to an extent), introduce new characters, new settings, kill off characters etc.

the main author writes both the first and last chapters and acts as a compiler, deciding what sections that have been submitted should be used for the next chapter.

so, my question is: what do you think of this style of story? if i were to start one would you contribute?

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Seriously? or for fun? For fun in a thread it might be interesting on a more paragraph level. But for an actual book? I don't know. Writers are pretty solitary and pretty defensive about their art. To suddenly have the whole thing by committee I would think that alone would be a bit of a headache. Who would have the final say? And who would like to write a chapter only to have it not be accepted in the book?
    I would never be comfortable doing something like this. My writing is pretty offbeat. I wouldn't like creating a twist and seeing it watered down or misinterpreted.
    I'd rather write a short story and put it in an anthology.

3. Ankoku Teion

Ankoku Teion Active Member

the bbc did it as a podcast audio book 15 mins a piece. it worked well, i wouldnt write a full book like that, more a short story, be a good way to cap off an anthology, get all the contributors to write a section.

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

I agree with @peachalulu. It would be hard to work up enthusiasm for a situation and environment that was the result of other writers. This is not the same as a "world" created by someone, and writers situating their stories within it.