1. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

Cults and Souls

Discussion in 'Research' started by UnknowingWriter, May 8, 2008.

Anyone know where I can get good information about cults? I might need them for my new idea/book.

Also, maybe some info about an Assassin, Knight, Scholoars, monks. You know, the works.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is why god created google! [well, ok...it's why those two genius kids did!]

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Wikipedia's your best bet.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'd use a combination of the two- or alternatively a library. Libraries have the added advantage of not having their content changed periodically by bored teenagers.

5. mammamaia

while wikipedia's not a bad place to start, please keep in mind that the content therein is provided by anyone who wants to submit it, so all is not exactly etched in stone, as far as reliabililty goes... whatever you find there should never be taken as gospel and you should always check it against other, more reliable sources, before using it...

that's why i never tell anyone to use wikipedia and always recommend googling... the 'easy' way in re doing research is generally not the best route to take...

6. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

I would look up different religions and what cults are based on them like Gnosticism Satanism.

7. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

look up cult, I hate to say it but by definition any religion on earth is technicaly a cult. in truth they are synonymous.

Paganism, Wicca, Celtic religions, and Indian cults are typically what I would deal with

8. architectus

architectus Banned

Maybe he/she meant the occult, rather than a cult. There are many occults, and many differ greatly. Monks and occults are not so common. I would need more details as to what your goals are.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

A cult is different than a religion. In a religion, people from all around the world have the same ideas and beliefs. Cults, in the other hand, may have different ideas and beliefs depending of the region while being part of the same cult.

10. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Chritianity is the biggest cult in the world by that definition Marcelo.

There are 3 types of catholics and over two hundred denominations of protestants along with over a hundred seperate non denominational churches. all have different beliefs and ideas depending on region and they are all the same christianity.

So kudos to the worlds largest cult.

But being serious I challenge any one to look up the definition of cult and tell me it is not synonymous with religion

11. mammamaia

the only difference seems to be the size of its membership...

12. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I will openly admit that some cults claim to be "Christians", however they do not adhere to the message and foundation principals of the Christian religion (hence why they are cults).

One of the main differences that truly separates a Religion from a Cult is that a Religions always offers you the allowance to leave of your own accord at any time with or without reasons.

A Cult does not allow you to just 'leave'

13. mammamaia

that's not part of any definition of the word 'cult'... and it's not true of all cults, only of the ones you hear about on the news, when they send their spirits off with aliens, leaving purple cloths over the heads of their bodily remains, or send off all of their members with a cyanide cocktail...