Cultural appropriation

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by jen0088, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I very strongly disagree with this, but that argument doesn't belong on this thread, and I'm not dedicated enough to arguing it to start a new thread.

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Not me, I love kids. I'll sit and listen to you talk forever about them.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I would argue that most women who claim to be anti-feminist actually aren't - they just misinterpret what the word actually means. Now, there are some women who DO believe they aren't equal to men and should be subservient - but there were some slaves in America who felt the same way about whites ('Uncle Tom' became an epithet for a reason). The presence of a few outliers doesn't affect the overall pattern.

For your contention that the people who "demean or exploit" people of other races know what they're doing - have you read what these people write about their actions? Racist by OUR standards, but they have their own set of justifications. They justified slavery by saying people of the slaves' race weren't fit for anything else and had to be taken care of. Other forms of imperialism were justified the same way. Missionaries were bringing the word of God to savages, not oppressing and erasing cultures. First Nations people in Canada were taken from their homes because it was the only way to keep them from being indoctrinated into the substandard modes of living. etc. It's the White Man's Burden.

Blech.

What I'm saying is I don't think you'll find many people who think they're racists. They think their actions are justified, and truly believe there are differences between the races (beyond skin colour and other insignificant details). Even something that seems hatred-based, like the Neo-Nazi movement, comes as much from fear as hatred. They apparently truly believe there's a race war and they're defending their families against an uprising. Hating their enemy isn't racist, it's just smart.

It's all ugly and stupid and wrong. But the people involved think they're right. That's the scariest part.

jazzabel and Mckk like this.
  4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

You've got to address the nurture question, though, in this case. Girls are not encouraged to participate in certain sports - for example at my school, girls never played football. I don't have a clue why. We did play hockey, however. Using this very simple example, would it be surprising then if my class of girls grew up not to be as interested in football as the boys? No, I would not say so - but I would not say it's because they're girls. I would say it's because they were never encouraged to do it, never exposed to it, never played it, never welcomed on the team should they wish to join (well, this might be my own sexist assumption - I simply assume an all-male team would naturally shun the idea of welcoming a female player).

Anyway, how often have you seen children and teenagers get better at something because they're encouraged and told they're good, and how often have you seen the same kids get worse at something because they're told they're rubbish at it? Even in the whole "more girls are better at English" statement, you can't just boil it down to gender.

To give an example of how biology really does *not* answer everything, I can tell you now, my husband gets excited over babies WAY more than I do. I look at a baby and I'm like, yeah it's cute. My husband would coo and grin and go "Aww how cute!" I would watch a film and enjoy it - my husband, with some films, cry. He cries more often at movies than I do. He's equally moved as I am at romances and other emotional scenes. He's also by far the better one with children - I'm pretty good myself as a teacher but he is exceptional. I've seen him with babies, I've seen him with small children, and I've seen him with his teenage brother - he's good with all of them. I, on the other hand, haven't a clue what to do with babies!

jazzabel likes this.
  5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

First of all, please note that I did not say they claimed to be anti-feminist, I said they were anti-feminist, meaning that they embraced the notion of traditional roles based on gender.

However, my point was made simply because the OP specified racist or cultural misrepresentations in writing. The introduction of sexism into the discussion was a diversion.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

When I introduced it, it was an example intended to address the original question by stepping slightly away from it. People have and act on wrong assumptions--sexism or racism or any number of other forms of prejudice--without "intentionally" being wrong or intending to be oppressive, because they actually believe those assumptions.