1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Cyberpunk Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ToBeInspired, Mar 6, 2017.

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong thread. Didn't see a specific book suggestions thread, but this seems pretty close.

I'm looking for cyberpunk science fiction "must-reads" to increase my knowledge of the subject. I tend to write dark, anti-hero fantasy works or light, romantic mysteries. Yeah, bit of a difference there. I'm moody, sue me. Kidding, anyway I've been told that some of my newest writing would make great cyberpunk science fiction. I honestly didn't even know that was a thing until recently, but I have to say it seems like it might be a perfect fit for me. I love movies like Blade Runner and Dune and easily come up with such concepts regularly. I could make the newest Dune Runner, heh.

I'm looking for novels with artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality, dystopian societies, anti-heroes, unique professions & specializations, cyberpunk slang, robotics, cybernetics, bio engineering, or really any type of augmented species. New planets, new worlds, new cultures, and all that of course.

I'm more interested in interesting ideas and concepts than just throwing those things together in a mystery pie. I'm not looking for the terminator with A.I. going evil, that's been done too many times. I prefer something unique when reading, or at least unique when they wrote it, nothing that's been done a million and a half times.

Thanks in advance, I'm ready to devour some more books.

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Railhead by Philip Reeve is my go to. It isn't the most cyberpunk out there, but it does me fine :D

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Probably should start with early William Gibson. Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdive,

EFMingo, Iain Aschendale and zoupskim like this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Agreed. Gibson is pretty much the father of cyberpunk. It may read a little old-hat today since, by its nature, this genre is one wherein its props age out rather quickly, but I cannot imagine saying that one knows cyberpunk without reading Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I'll add some of M. John Harrison's works as well. Light, Nova Swing, Empty Space. Not as strictly cyberpunk as Gibson, but defo within the realm.

Steerpike likes this.
  5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I don't read a lot of cyberpunk SF. I've read one series that was pretty good, but not by a big name author.

Check out the Street series by Ryan A. Span. The novels are Empathy, Clairvoyance, and Precognition.

6. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Neuromancer
    by William Gibson is a must, and Snow Crash by Neal Stevenson is my personal favorite.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Steerpike likes this.
  7. Steerpike

Oh yeah, Snow Crash. Great one.

8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    William Gibson and Bruce Sterling pretty much invented cyberpunk. The word "cyberspace" was coined by William Gibson, in the novel Neuromancer.

However, IMHO, both writers peaked rather early. Gibson has his "Sprawl" (loose) trilogy, comprised of Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. His second, Bridge trilogy, has some cyberpunk elements, but it much more grounded in the modern world. His more recent work is just a step or two forward (or back, depending on when you read it) from current reality. Not so much to my tastes.

Slant, by Greg Bear, would be a good cyberpunk book if it didn't so closely resemble Neuromancer.

If you like Gibson's writing style and are interested in biopunk, most of Paolo Bacigalupi's books read like William Gibson, back when Gibson was the bleeding edge. Bacigalupi's speech patterns, rhythms, and general view owe a clear debt to Gibson, but he's approaching a new set of problems. There is an argument to be made that he's copycatting, but I find his work to be a logical progression where Gibson left off, told in a very similar voice.;

pyroglyphian and Steerpike like this.
  9. Steerpike

I've read The Windup Girl, and quite liked it. I agree regarding Gibson's early work versus later work. There is also a female author from the 80s (not Pat Cadigan) who wrote a trilogy of cyberpunk works I remember being good. I'll see if I can figure out what they were.

I've read a number of works by Bear, but not Slant.