Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

Dad confronts daughter's bullies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paki-Writing, Sep 19, 2010.

A man's daughter was being sexually harassed and physically assaulted by some boys. The daughter couldn't take it anymore, and the dad had enough. He stormed the bus where the boys were and told them off. He got into trouble with the law because of it.

There is a lot of internet support for him, but what do you guys think? Was he right to confront the bullies?

Also, some people spoke of how parents should teach children to stand up to bullies. How is a little girl suppose to stand up to a pack of guys? Also, bullying situations tend to be very vicious were the victim is singled out bystanders are not willing to help.

2. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Yes, completely. Every father should come to the rescue of his daughter. Especially in that kind of situation.

3. white

white Banned

I'd beat the living hell out of them, personally.

4. Manav

Manav New Member

I can definitely understand the father's reaction. I would have done the same thing. If he has broken the law and his actions didn't harm the boys physically he should be set free with some mild punishment like a simple warning.

One more thing, from your post it seems like the sexual harassment was repeated more than once, so why didn't they go to the police? But like I said I would have done the same thing even if I knew I can go to the police.

5. zaphod

zaphod Member

Is this the thing you are talking about? http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39232388/

Posted with no article, you are kidding right? But people on the internet are "in support" whatever that means. This isn't cool. I had to go hunt online and change my comment because I wasn't sure what this was about. Most people won't, they'll go on without knowing, well, anything.

Anyways, fair enough to say that the father felt very emotional just like any of us would, and ought to be forgiven by virtue of his apology. But ideally speaking no one should lash out and get in a high tempered confrontation like that if they can manage it. You approach them and stay cool, intimidate but stay dignified.

Actually, lame. Like I said, the actual individual involved here gets a pass for being in a compromising situation. But someone who should be calm while browsing the internet and gets to read, hopefully, the full story, ought to grow up a little, right?

6. white

white Banned

Yes, I would read the full story, approach them in a cool and dignified manner -- because that is what cool guys like Zaphod do -- and proceed to beat the living hell out of them.

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

He was confronting kids, and he's a grown man, so he should have avoided swearing and been non-violent. However, seems the school was really at fault because the other supervisors on the bus did nothing, and he had already complained but nothing was done. A parent certainly has the right to intervene if their kid is being harrassed and nothing is done but maybe taking it to a higher authority or just trying a calmer approach would have been more appropriate.

8. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

There is no full story when someone elses' child is being bullied. There is no reason or excuse for bullying, period.

When I was in highschool there was this kid who used to punch and verbally abuse my brother for no apparent reason. One day, my brother came crying to me during lunchtime because this psychotic kid had punched him in the face. I took him to the front office and he told the deputy principal what had happened. Next period, the kid was taken out of class, and suspended for three days. My Mum was incredibly angry that this had happened and not one of the teacher's on lunchtime duty had do anything about it. She complained to the Principal but there wasn't much he could do, he couldn't expel the kid because it was a public school, all he could do was tell his parents and hold a staff meeting about bullying. I can completely understand why a parent would get personally involved because there is a limit to the action a school can take (although the man in story probably should have done so in a much more diplomatic and calm way).

I was being bullied when I was in year 6, and my Mum, a teacher at the time, repeatedly told the Principal but he failed to do anything about it. She eventually cracked when she noticed I was being teased by a bunch of year 7 students during a school trip. When we were all on the bus, ready to go back to campus, she marched inside and scolded the children responsible. She said, 'you think it's all so funny don't you? Ganging up on my daughter! Well, if you even try it again you will be very sorry'.

I was left alone after that.

9. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Does a parent do the right thing if they do what they can to the best of their abilities to protect their kid?

Yes. Imho.

Is it right in case that any adult, parent or no, for whatever the reason, might gone to far in how they act against a child to be tried in court?

Yes.

Parents needs to protect their children and the system needs to protect all children.

10. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Parents are there to step in when their kids are powerless; more parents should learn to do what this guy did. It's about time they stopped blaming useless teachers (even though something should be done about them) and took matters into their own hands, for the sake of their kid's sanity and safety alike.

If I was being harrassed like that, my dad would've kicked the crap out of them. End of.

And if he wasn't around to, it would've been my brother or my uncles. Actually, come to think of it, it'd probably be my mum. She confronted many people's parents when I was a kid because she wasn't going to let them get away with picking on me, and they knew where they stood once she'd had words with them. I was lucky.

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I do not understand why people continue to send their child to school. If my child was being bullied I would not going to be letting her get on the bus or go to school. And I would have called in the police if the school weren't dealing with it. You do not get to bully my kids, I do not give people that opportunity.

If my child was being treated like that I would have taken them to school myself and plonked my backside at the back of every class etc or removed them until the school and/or police took action.

I do not tolerate my children being treated that way. Rather than raising namby pamby children it is raising children that are not afraid to say to anyone 'I do not like the way you are treating me.' Because they know even if they say it to an adult bullying them they have their parents support. They also will not tolerate bullying in any situation aimed against anyone. They don't stand by and let it happen.

In summary I get sick fed up of people saying bullying happens, it is what children do, it should be tolerate because children need to toughen up. No adults should be turning round and firmly saying that behaviour is not acceptable. Why on earth was that man letting his child get on the bus knowing what would happen to her it is ridiculous. If he was concerned about looking after his child she wouldn't have been going into that situation.

Children do not need to be cruel my kids know full well they answer to me and I would not tolerate them treating someone else badly like that.

12. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

It's animal nature to protect our children.

If a bird's nest is under attack, the mother/Father birds will go out of the way and try and prevent the potential attack.

If lion cubs are being stalked by a predator, then it's parents will to kill or harm for the safety of its kin.

We humans, are no more then the above, Should we sit back and allow harm to our kids. (Can we not use words or intimidation if harm and murder is unacceptable) Farking right we should.

We do live in a time where kids are so protected and bubble wrapped, but when something happens, they expect us to sit tight and just watch. Good luck.

In time, you won't even be able to look at someone without trouble, or hell, Minority Report, where even a thought will alert the authorties.

There are far to many worldly issues that have declined into the armpit of hell, and it's about time for a few of these issues that we take stand.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is not a debating site. Please do not start inflammatory discussions, and if you do join such a discussion, do not take an aggressive tone.

The question posed in essence asks whteher it is justified for an adult to bully and threaten children because his child was bullied and threatened.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong in such a neutral topic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.