Tags:
  1. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Daily production?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Hublocker, Apr 11, 2018.

Do you have a minimum daily word quota?

Or even a time quota?

Writing a novel a few years ago I said to myself "1000 words a day or you don't get to do anything else."

I'm a working freelance journalist (well as I approach 65 I'm cutting down) plus news addict, Youtube music fan, Facebook nut, writer's group forum fan, etc.etc. so I have lots of distractions. But I told myself "Don't even turn on the Internet until you have 1000 words."

So except for really urgent deadlines, that's what I did.

In four months I had a manuscript.

Who knows if it's any good, but I worked on it for another year and now I'm pitching it out in the world.

John Calligan likes this.
  2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Good luck! And congratulations on getting your first draft out so quickly. I thought I was going to be able to do that, but I've already taken twice as long as you and still have a ways to go. I aim for 5k words a week. I'm not super strict with it, but it gives me something to aim for. However, sometimes I need to spend my writing time revising and rewriting. I guess I just sort of know when I've put real work into my writing v. anything less than that.

3. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

When I have full momentum going I do try to hit 1000 words/day. It got me through four different first drafts.

The problem for me is building up to it. I can't just start at that level. Normally I start by aiming for about 500, then up it by 100 every week or so as long as I'm meeting my goal. But that requires discipline, and it requires forming a habit.

A lot of writers really can't do daily (or weekly, or whatever) quotas. I'm the opposite. Until I started following a daily quota I floundered. But, just like trying to form any other kind of habit, making sure to keep up with it is the real work. Taking days off can be a huge momentum killer.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

One polished scene every two days.

Realistically, it averages about one polished scene every three days. But if I set that as my goal, it'll go to four days.

5. awkwarddragon

awkwarddragon Member

Not really. I'm a hobbyist writer than a "planning to publish" writer. I don't stress about word quota that much.

Yes. I have school to deal with so I try to fit writing into my schedule.

That's fantastic OP! I usually crank out a short story within months. Hope you can polish it to its best.

6. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Yep, a daily quota helps. Most people don't have the discipline. Well done.

7. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

I don't because I've found that having a quota means that I tend to half-ass it if I'm just not feeling it that day and just write for the sake of getting to the quota, or if I'm writing very strongly and I hit the quota, I'll just stop because I hit it, not because I'm done writing. You can have some vague guidelines, but holding to a quota for the sake of holding to a quota makes no sense to me. You either want to write or you don't. Being forced into some arbitrary number of words... no thanks.