Darlings You've Got to Let Me Know, Should They Stay or Should they Go?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by EstherMayRose, Mar 15, 2019.

1. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

There's also the option of the older Princess staying in the country, but secretly, organizing the resistance.
    And why not? The line is secure, as her sister is safe in Quebec.

[[Edit: the more I think about this scenario, the more I want to write it. :) ]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    matwoolf likes this.
  2. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I see two issues:
    Would the Princess be more effective lobbying for military support in London, Moscow and DC, or would Cavalia hold together better militarily with a schoolgirl in the battle trenches? Logically the first, but it is fiction, and maybe she can't leave (best of both; she tries to leave and can't, or does leave and comes back).

The second issue: Do you want to write a tale of partisan resistance, or a story about politics and hobnobbing with the elite? Because if you don't enjoy writing about how the Princess wishes she could finally get a good wash after blowing up the troop train, this is going to be a real slog to write.

3. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Off topic

The right word is to liberate.

That is how we got big part of our weapons in WW2.

Red Army tried to rush Finland. Then they stuck in motti (pocket). Then they died. Then Finns got they gear. Then they tried again...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_(military)#Motti

That is how small and light infantry units could destroy bigger, heavily equipped tank and mechanized units.

(I wouldn't use a word "easily" like Wikipedia. Light infantry against thee times it's size mechanized or armoured unit does not sound easy.)

But yeah... Finns love to be nice to our distant neighbours.

matwoolf likes this.
  4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Ewww. Quebec.

Je suis un beigne a confiture.

matwoolf likes this.
  5. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

I figured little sister's French is far better than her English.
    And the Axis forces aren't likely to invade Quebec any time soon.

6. The Dapper Hooligan

I never lived in Quebec or Europe during WW2, but today Quebecois French and European French aren't as similar as one would imagine. Even within Canada we've got several different dialects that can be fairly distant. Before coming to the New World, my great Grandmother lived in Switzerland and learned Parisan French, but had difficulty communicating with people outside of a few neighborhoods in Montreal. One thing I do know, though, is that up until recently (70's-80's) Quebec was intensely Catholic, with not a whole lot of separation between church and state. Depending on the religious politics of Cavalia, it might be more diplomatic for her to stay in one of the cities on the East Coast (though likely not Halifax since it was still recovering from the Explosion in 1917) or more likely, The Capital, Ottawa. Which also speaks French and likely has an embassy.

XRD_author likes this.
  7. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Good point about Ottowa, @The Dapper Hooligan . It sounds like @EstherMayRose could do worse than consulting with you on where the younger Princess could go to be safe during the War.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  8. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I think whatever you want suits the situation. She’s young and lacking experience so you could look at it as another lesson that helped her rethink and become a Great Monarch in the future.

Lne option could be to go to Switzerland, or to simply cart off her uounger sister and remain where she is. Maybe she even manages to evacuate her people in dirbs and drabs?

Whatever suits the story. Anything can be made believeable enough in a narrative if you take enough care.

matwoolf likes this.
  9. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

From my research...

Cavallia's ethnic heritage is Celtic, and as such - she is the remnant dot-speck of progressive civilisation - everybody knows that truth.

The good Celts surrounded in a soup of ghastly Frankish/Saxon manners/custom/practice...'hordes.' Celts win all sympathies in all books unless we introduce 'Beaker People' lead characters, or Otzi and the frozen in glacier Alpine warrior-man tribe.

Nice.

'Darling, I studied at the Lycee Geneva, the Conservatoire Paris. I was simply unable to unravel the dialects of these hobbits in their furs. Nevertheless Montreal became my home...I married the chief of Hobbit, later I became the lady-mayoress of Hobbit, today I am proud to say "I am a Hobbit..."'

Isn't Nelson's Column in Montreal...some historical anachronism? [Is 'anachronism' right? Better check..]

10. The Dapper Hooligan

Any volunteers?

[​IMG]

matwoolf likes this.
  11. matwoolf

12. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

off topic

Never heard of parachuteless Russian troops.

Something to think about:

- Russian invasion in Winter War was 3.5 times the size of Normandy operation. And Finns did not have that level of gear, ammo and fortifications. And it was not a shore.
    - The main battle area in Tali-Ihantala was about 10-15 kilometers. (Less than ten miles.) Soviet lost 600 tanks, 120-28o planes, more dead and wounded they have ever admitted... They had 160 000 to God knows how much troops there and they were stopped. (Finnish casualties less than 9000.)
    - If you put that 600 destroyed tanks to 10km line, you get a ruined russian tank, then 14 meters, then ruined tank, then...
    - Tali-Ihantala is still one of the biggest artillery fights ever. Finns shot over 122 000 rounds and Russians much more. You put that to the terrain 10-15 km wide and count. There was no difference between day and night in visibility.

This is what very thick forest looked like after some artillery hits.

[​IMG]

Numbers in this site are more reliable than wikibabble.

http://www.finlandiafoundationseattle.com/wp-content/uploads/Walter-Forsström.pdf

And this tells something about sisu.

"Ok... They got through our defence. We must counter attack.

In WW2 it was not rare that Finns were given order to keep they positions no matter what by telling that "we die in these positions, withdrawing is not possible". And then they kept those positions.

13. The Dapper Hooligan

They may finish us, but either way, we'll Finnish them!

14. The Dapper Hooligan

double post

15. matwoolf

And Cavallia remains triumphant. Our princess Snowflakka, be praised, shall reign for 1000 years, you dog. Join praise to the Snowflakka and our infant Princessalina. As we say tree stump is like Finnish man on tip-toe. Ha ha.